Opens a New Window. Division Responsibilities
The Civil Division handles new civil case filings, issues subpoenas, and accepts concealed handgun applications.
Circuit Court Jurisdiction for Civil Matters
- Circuit Court has concurrent jurisdiction with the General District Court over claims from $4,500 to $25,000.
- Exclusive original jurisdiction over claims exceeding $25,000.
- All equity matters; these include divorce cases, disputes concerning wills and estates, and controversies involving property.
The Civil Division accepts cash, check and credit cards as payment. Credit cards are only accepted for over the counter transactions at this time. View more information on credit card transactions (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
Practices of the Clerk's Office
- Court Orders
- Orders should only be submitted to the court when they are ready to be entered.
- You may submit a copy of the proposed order, which will be indexed and scanned. You should bring the original order to your court hearing.
- An original order that needs to be submitted to a judge for entry by the court can be submitted to the Clerk's Office, along with a cover letter with instructions to send it up to a judge for entry.
- Any required documents need to be filed before submitting the order for entry (i.e. VS-4, affidavits, etc.)
- Original Signature
- Pleadings and orders must contain original signatures. As we are not an E-filing court, the judges of this court will not accept a digital signature.
- Service Copies
- Copies of documents for service must not be filed with the Clerk's Office until you are ready for service to be prepared.
- Cover Letters
- If submitting a pleading or order for an upcoming hearing (within 1 week of filing), please include a cover letter or note on the pleading indicating this.
- General Rules for Submitting Documents
- The court will not accept documents that have been bounded with glue or adhesive.
- The court will not accept documents that have been printed with or contain shading or grayed areas upon the document.
- Motions that are filed with the court without a praecipe (PDF) Opens a New Window. will not be set for a hearing and will not be forwarded to chambers for review.
- If you are opening a new civil case, you must file a civil action cover sheet (PDF) Opens a New Window. , along with the initiating paperwork.
- We cannot accept any pleadings or notices by fax or email. The original document must be received by our office either in person, or by mail.
The Loudoun County Circuit Court makes every effort to ensure that the information provided on this site is correct, complete, and up to date. However, since the law is subject to constant change and interpretation, that cannot be guaranteed.
*Please note: Court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. If you need assistance or advice please see our Legal Aid and Links page.