Building & Development
COVID-19 Service Adjustments
(updated March 30, 2020)
The Department of Building and Development lobby is closed.
- All services will continue to be provided during normal operating hours, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- For general permitting or land development questions, checking a permit status or to schedule inspections, customers may contact the department 703-777-0220, email or Loudoun Express Request.
- Effective March 24, 2020, all inspections inside occupied residential structures, including leased residential properties, will be completed without entering the structure and by using video-telephony, video or photographs which show that work is code compliant. Learn more about the process.
- Customers may continue to schedule inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS).
Permits and Land Development Applications
Permit applications and land development applications should be submitted at the temporary drop-box in the first floor lobby of the Government Center between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Applications forms must be completed before arriving to the Government Center. Forms are available for download.
There are three submission options for the payment of permits and land development application fees:
- Mail check(s) to Department of Building and Development, Second Floor, 1 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg, VA 20175
- Drop check(s) into the first floor lobby permit or land development application drop box at the Government Center. Please include the associated permit or land development application number, contact name, phone number and email address.
- Pay by credit card over the phone at 703-777-0220.
Once payment is received, permitting and land development staff will notify the customer when the permit and/or plan has been issued/approved and ready to be picked up. There are four options to receive your permit and/or plans.
- sent through the mail
- picked up in the permit and land development plan area in the Dulles Room located on the first floor of the Government Center between 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- picked up by appointment
- emailed (in some cases)
Department of Building and Development
The Department of Building and Development conducts oversight of all phases of construction within Loudoun County. This includes:
- Review and approval of construction and site plans
- Proper subdivision of land
- Issuing commercial and residential permits
- Inspections during the construction phase
- Final approval of projects for occupancy or use.