Companion Services Program
News & Updates
The waitlist for the Companion Services Program is open and accepting new referrals.
Our Companion Services Program provides task-based services to older adults with impairments living in their homes. Below, you'll find the services overview, eligibility requirements, how to access the services, and what to expect once you are eligible for services.
Our program offers a range of essential personalized care and support services through our trusted partners. The services include:
- Bathing and Toileting
- Eating and Feeding
- Light Housekeeping and Meal Preparations
The Companion Program does not offer nursing care. If you require nursing care, we recommend you speak with your doctor.
Companion Services Program Eligibility
Persons residing in Loudoun are eligible for the Companion Services Program between October 1, 2023 – September 30, 2024, if they meet the following criteria:
- Individual: Gross income must not exceed $2,624 per month.
- Family of two (e.g., husband and wife): Gross income must not exceed $3,432 per month.
In some cases, individuals or families may be eligible to earn slightly more than the specified amount; this will be determined by a Family Services Specialist at the time of your assessment. If you meet the income criteria, you may receive companion services at no cost. If your income exceeds the eligibility requirements, we are happy to provide referrals to private pay services.
How Income is Determined
We look at gross income, for example:
- Social Security benefits
- Interest on bank accounts
We do not make allowances for monthly expenses such as rent or the cost of medicines.
The number of hours that can be provided depend on what services you need.
It can vary from a few hours a week for housekeeping up to 30 hours per week for more intensive care.
Steps to Receiving Companion Services
- Contact the Department of Family Services at 703-777-0353 to request services. If there's a waitlist, do not worry; the waiting time varies, and we will keep you informed.
- When your name reaches the top of the waiting list, a Family Services Specialist will reach out to you to confirm if you still require assistance.
- A home visit will be scheduled to discuss:
- Your income (please provide proof, such as a bank statement).
- Specific assistance required and the number of hours needed.
- Preferred days and times for service provision (we will try our best to accommodate your schedule).
- Your medical condition, medications, family involvement, and other relevant information.
What to Expect Once Determined Eligible
If you are eligible for our program, the Family Services Specialist will present your needs to one of our trusted providers that will work diligently to assign an aide within five business days.
Before you receive services, the provider will send a nurse to your home to conduct an assessment to further determine your needs. This assessment will cover similar questions asked during the initial home visit by the Family Services Specialist.
Once an aide is available, the provider will contact you to confirm the service start date.
Your assigned Family Services Specialist will contact you quarterly to discuss the services you are receiving; however, you may contact your Family Services Specialist at any time if you have any issues or concerns regarding the provision of the services.
To request more information, please contact the Department of Family Services at 703-771-5742.