News & Announcements

County News

Posted on: April 3, 2018

Board of Supervisors Adopts FY 2019 Budget; Lowers Tax Rate by Four Cents

Red and green Loudoun County seal on a white background.

The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors has approved a budget totaling approximately $2.6 billion in total appropriations for the general county government and school system for Fiscal Year (FY) 2019. The adopted budget includes a real property tax rate of $1.085 per $100 in assessed value, four cents lower than the current tax rate. The budget includes a local transfer to Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) of $797.4 million, which is a 6.6 percent increase in local tax funding over FY 2018. 

Budget Summary

The FY 2019 operating appropriation is comprised of more than a dozen separate funds totaling $1.8 billion. The operating appropriations include:

  • $1.19 billion for LCPS’ operating fund;
  • $544.6 million for general government operations; and 
  • $9.3 million for the Children’s Services Act Fund. 

In addition, the adopted budget includes $204.5 million for debt service appropriations, of which $134.8 million is for LCPS, $57.4 million is for general government projects and $12.3 million is for special tax districts. 

About 67 percent of the $1.4 billion in revenues from local taxes, including real property and local sales taxes, and prior year fund balance will be used for school operating expenses, capital projects and debt service. The remaining 33 percent will be used for the general county government for operating expenses, capital projects and debt service.   

The FY 2019 budget includes funding for 123 new full-time equivalent (FTE) positions that focus on safety net programs in human services agencies and enhancing Board priorities in areas such as housing and workforce development. In addition, the budget allocates approximately $12 million operating start-up costs for Metrorail.

The budget also includes a three percent market-based pay increase and a three-point-five percent merit pay increase for eligible county employees to continue the investment the Board has made in attracting and retaining quality employees.

Capital Improvement Program

The Board also adopted the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) that totals $2.4 billion for the six-year planning period from FY 2019 to FY 2024. The project category with the largest expenditure percentage is transportation at 54 percent, or $1.30 billion, followed by school projects at 20 percent, or $484 million.

The CIP maintains funding for high priority general government projects and several new projects, including the new Intersection Improvement Program, the new Sidewalk and Trail Program, and the widening of Loudoun County Parkway from Ryan Road to Shellhorn Road. The CIP also includes the acceleration of several county projects, including the Crosstrail Boulevard project and the expansion of the Fire and Rescue Training Academy. 

The CIP fully incorporates the School Board’s adopted capital plan, which includes the acceleration of elementary schools to expand full-day kindergarten, security improvements, funding for new school buses, funding for providing road access and connections to several schools and other facilities and expansion of broadband infrastructure.

Public Process           

Adoption of the FY 2019 budget came after a public process that included the presentation of the Proposed FY 2019 Budget by the County Administrator in February, the Board of Supervisors’ public hearings in February and March and a series of budget work sessions in March. 

The budget will go into effect July 1, 2018, while the new tax rates are effective as of January 1, 2018, and will be used for the spring tax collection.  More information about the budget process is online at www.loudoun.gov/budget.  

# # #


Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in County News

Image of Cable TV Subscriber Survey Graphic

Loudoun Surveys Cable TV Subscribers

Posted on: November 19, 2018