As the process of revising Loudoun County’s Comprehensive Plan continues, the county announces a timeline of upcoming milestones, including opportunities for public comment on the plan prior to its adoption by the Board of Supervisors.
A number of community organizations are reaching out to the public to share their ideas and encourage participation in the community-wide process; however, meetings that are organized by non-county organizations are not part of the county’s official process for revising the comprehensive plan.
Loudoun County Government is the official source of information about the revised comprehensive plan. The county posts information online to ensure the public has access to the current information that the Board of Supervisors will consider in the coming months. The current draft of the plan and related documents are posted at www.loudoun.gov/Loudoun2040.
The county encourages the public to participate in the official process for sharing input directly with the policymakers and elected officials who are shaping and ultimately will adopt the plan. To ensure your input is received by the Board of Supervisors, you must provide input directly to the Board by email, by telephone, or in person during a public hearing.
The full schedule of public meetings is posted on the Loudoun County Government Master Calendar.
- February 2019: The Planning Commission is holding its final series of Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan work sessions in February 2019. Information regarding the Planning Commission’s work is posted at www.loudoun.gov/planningcommission.
- March 21, 2019: The Planning Commission is expected to present the Board of Supervisors with a draft Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan at the Board’s business meeting on March 21, 2019. The agenda and related documents for the Board meeting will be posted at www.loudoun.gov/bosdocuments.
- April, May, June 2019: Beginning April 3, 2019, the Board of Supervisors will hold a series of work sessions to review the plan. The complete list of work session dates and times will be posted on the Loudoun County Government Master Calendar.
- April 24 and April 27, 2019: The Board of Supervisors will hear public comment on the Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan during public hearings scheduled for Wednesday, April 24, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. and Saturday, April 27, 2019, at 9:00 a.m. Note: The April 24, 2019, public hearing will be held at the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, SE, in Leesburg. The April 27, 2019, public hearing will be held at the Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.
- July 2019: The Board of Supervisors tentatively is scheduled to adopt the Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan on July 2, 2019.
Meetings of the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors are typically held at the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, SE, in Leesburg. In addition to speaking at the Board of Supervisors’ public hearings, citizens may email the Board or call the Board’s comment line at 703-777-0115. Members of the public may also email the Planning Commission.
All of the Board of Supervisors' Loudoun 2040 work sessions and the Wednesday, April 24, public hearing will be held at the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, SE in Leesburg. The Board's April 27, 2019, public hearing will be held at the Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.
Board of Supervisors business meetings, public hearings and work sessions are televised live on Comcast Government Channel 23, Open Band Channel 40 and Verizon FiOS Channel 40. They also are live streamed at www.loudoun.gov/webcast. Archived videos of Board meetings are posted online at www.loudoun.gov/meetings.
The revision of the Loudoun County Comprehensive Plan has been more than two years in the making, starting with the Envision Loudoun process that involved input from thousands of community members, followed by the deliberations of a Stakeholders Committee and an extensive review by the Planning Commission.
Once adopted, the Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan will serve as the county government's guide for land use and transportation policy that will provide a flexible framework and implementation strategy to meet the county’s future priorities and needs. The Loudoun 2040 Comprehensive Plan covers a broad range of existing and new policy areas and addresses various issues important to the community. It will provide for new urban policy areas around the Metrorail stations, focus efforts on infill and revitalization in the Suburban Policy Area, preserve the county’s natural and heritage resources, protect the rural economy and agricultural uses, and promote a wide range of housing choices.
# # #
Edited April 1, 2019, to note location of Board of Supervisors public hearing April 27, 2019, as the Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.