Loudoun County has again been recognized as one of the most technologically advanced county governments in the United States. Loudoun is ranked among the top ten in its population category in a national survey conducted by the Center for Digital Government and the National Association of Counties.
The 2019 Digital Counties Survey identifies the best technology practices among U.S. counties, including initiatives that streamline delivery of government services, encourage open data, collaboration and shared services, enhance cybersecurity and contribute to disaster response and recovery efforts. Loudoun is one of 58 counties in the nation highlighted in the survey for “their commitment to using tech to improve quality of life, shore up cybersecurity, support municipal resources and more.”
Led by the Department of Information Technology, Loudoun County continues to seek innovative ways to deliver services efficiently. Examples highlighted in the survey include:
- Adoption of a Technology Roadmap: This roadmap describes the shift of county information technology (IT) infrastructure from existing, aging on-premises facilities to commercial data centers in Loudoun County. The migration from on-site facilities to data centers results in a savings of about $13 million.
- Data-Driven Portfolio Management: This new management tool categorizes IT projects and programs in line with the county’s strategic objectives and available resources while optimizing a return on investment. It integrates best practices from the private sector into a service-oriented, not-for-profit environment.
- Development of a Broadband Strategic Plan: The plan identifies goals and objectives to bridge the broadband gap in western Loudoun by leveraging the county’s existing cable franchise agreements and future fiber investments by the Loudoun County Public Schools.
- Redesigned Website: The new design of www.loudoun.gov is geared to better meet the needs of Loudoun County residents and businesses, enabling them to more easily and quickly find the information they need. The website features responsive design which allows content to display optimally on any device. It also includes an open government portal, which serves as a single starting point for accessing the broad range of information, records and open data held by the county.
- Supporting Transportation Improvements: The county has been working to implement the technology infrastructure necessary to support network connectivity and associated technology infrastructure for staff at the new Loudoun County parking garages that will serve the extension of the Metrorail Silver Line into Loudoun.
- WAZE Integration: Loudoun County’s traffic map consolidates real-time traffic-related data from the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Communications Center, ESRI, Google traffic and WAZE through the county’s Geographic Information System and GeoHub, a new resource for GIS information. This innovative application gives Loudoun motorists using WAZE, the community-based traffic and navigation app, real-time alerts for traffic accidents, backups, hazards and road closures.
Residents also can engage the county government through social media, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. A comprehensive list of the county’s social media accounts can be found here.
The county also offers the Alert Loudoun system, which allows residents to receive e-mails or text alerts, including county news releases, weather information, traffic reports, and emergency notifications.
More information about the Digital Counties Survey and the Center for Digital Government is available online at www.govtech.com/cdg.
# # #