The Virginia Cooperative Extension Family Nutrition Program empowers you to take charge of your health by eating healthy and living an active lifestyle. Our nutrition educators work with Virginians to teach essential life skills like cooking, managing a food budget, using SNAP/EBT, being physically active, handling food safely, and planning meals.
Quick Tips for Shelf-Stable Foods:
- Choose shelf-stable foods that are low in sodium and added sugars.
- Inspect canned foods for any bulging, leaking, or dents. Check the expiration dates.
- Store shelf-stable foods in cool, dry areas.
- Store grains in airtight containers.
- Keep a can opener on hand.
You can still follow MyPlate! Try shelf-stable foods from each of the five food groups - learn more, plus see a great recipe: Shelf-Stable Foods
# # #