Loudoun County is offering five locations for residents to bring their Christmas trees for recycling now through January 20, 2022. Only natural cut trees and wreaths will be accepted: no artificial trees or artificial wreaths. The trees will be converted into mulch, which is available free of charge to Loudoun County residents year-round at the Loudoun County landfill.
Residents who receive curbside recycling service may contact their homeowners association, town office or recycling service provider for Christmas tree collection schedules. If transporting your tree in a tree bag, please remove and dispose of the bag with your regular trash.
Whether dropping off at one of the county’s Christmas tree collection sites or at the curb, remember to remove all ornaments, lights, tinsel, wire, stand and tree bag. If the tree is in a tree bag, remove and dispose of the bag with your regular trash. If you wish to recycle a natural wreath, please remove and dispose of all wire, bows, twine, lights and ornaments before recycling the wreath. If removal of these items is not possible, then dispose of the tree or wreath with your regular garbage.
The Christmas Tree Recycling Program is a public service for Loudoun County residents only. Tree vendors operating in Loudoun County with leftover trees may recycle them at the Loudoun County landfill for $68 a ton. Netting, rope, wire, tags and other items must be removed and disposed prior to recycling. Visit loudoun.gov/landfill or call 703-771-5500 for more information.
For residents, Christmas trees will be accepted for recycling free of charge at the following locations through January 20, 2022:
- Leesburg: Loudoun County Landfill Recycling Center, 21101 Evergreen Mills Road, Leesburg, 20175, Open Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Lovettsville: Game Protective Association, 16 South Berlin Pike, Lovettsville, 20180, Open daily
- Purcellville: Franklin Park, 17501 Franklin Park Drive, Purcellville, 20132, Open daily, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- South Riding: Town Hall, rear parking lot next to tennis court, 43055 Center Street, South Riding, 20152, Open daily
- Sterling: Claude Moore Park, 46150 Loudoun Park Lane, Sterling, 20164, (Use Loudoun Park Lane entrance.), Open daily, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
More information about the Christmas Tree Recycling Program and other Loudoun County recycling programs is available at loudoun.gov/recycle.
# # #