Loudoun County is offering new, in-person sessions of its Parenting Wisely program, a free parent support program for parents of middle- and high-school-aged children.
The program helps parents learn strategies and techniques to better support their children and manage difficult situations in the home. Parents will learn constructive skills proven to decrease problem behaviors, reduce family conflict, and improve the family dynamic.
- English Session - Starting October 19, 2022: 5-week program on Wednesdays, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
- Spanish Session - Starting October 18, 2022: 10-week program on Tuesdays, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
The sessions will be held at the Loudoun County Department of Family Services - Family Engagement and Preservation Services Office, 45201 Research Place, Suite 110, Ashburn.
What Parents Will Learn
The course curriculum covers these parenting issues:
- Getting kids up on time for school
- Helping kids manage household chores
- Managing curfews and drug use
- Monitoring electronic devices and sibling conflict
- Monitoring schoolwork and friends
Parents learn how to:
- Develop a family agreement/contract
- Improve communication skills
- Set realistic & consistent expectations
- Use assertive discipline & prompts
- Use mindfulness techniques
- Use planned ignoring and self-talk
In addition, at the completion of the parent support group, families are able to work individually with Loudoun County staff members to further develop and put into practice the skills and techniques they have learned.
For More Information
For more information and to register, visit loudoun.gov/family.
# # #