The final Loudoun County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection event of 2022 is scheduled for Saturday, November 19, 2022, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., at Claude Moore Park, 46150 Loudoun Park Lane in Sterling. Loudoun residents are welcome to bring HHW from their homes to the event, free of charge.
- Typical HHW includes: fluorescent light bulbs, dry-cell batteries (alkaline, Ni-Cad, Lithium, rechargeable, etc, but no automobile batteries), oil-based paints and stains, varnish, paint thinner, mineral spirits, metal polish, rust remover, wood strippers and preservatives, furniture polish, waxes, sealants and solvents, bleach, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fertilizer, pool chemicals, muriatic acid, sulfuric acid, ammonia, mercury, mercury thermometers and thermostats, gasoline, expired fuel, auto cleaners and flushes, brake and transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, fire extinguishers, moth balls, flea and tick products, photographic chemicals and other hobby chemicals.
- Anyone who has an item that is not on this list is encouraged to call the county’s Waste Management Division at 703-771-5500 to see if the item is accepted or if an alternate disposal option is needed.
- HHW should only be brought to the event location on the scheduled date and event time. Please do not drop off material at any unattended site.
- The limit per household is 15 gallons of liquid HHW (container size not to exceed 5-gallon), and 40 pounds of solid HHW (container size not to exceed 5-gallon).
- Participants should be able to provide proof of Loudoun County residency such as a driver’s license or utility bill.
What’s Not Accepted
- Motor oil, antifreeze, automobile batteries, propane tanks, helium tanks, CO2 tanks and cartridges, drywall compound and oil-based space heaters are not accepted at HHW collection events. These materials are accepted at the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility (Loudoun County landfill), 21101 Evergreen Mills Road, Leesburg. Visit loudoun.gov/landfill for more information.
- Ammunition, explosives, fireworks, and gun powder are not accepted at HHW collection events. For information about disposal of these items, contact the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office at 703-737-8600.
- Electronics are not accepted at HHW collection events. Information on how to properly dispose of unwanted electronics is online at loudoun.gov/electronics.
- Medical waste and medications are not accepted at HHW collection events. Disposal information is available at loudoun.gov/hhw.
- Latex or water-based paint is not hazardous and should be taken to the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility (Loudoun County landfill), Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; fee applies. Visit loudoun.gov/landfill for more information.
- Non-residential hazardous waste is not accepted. Businesses and organizations in Loudoun that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month are encouraged to visit loudoun.gov/bhwp or call 703-771-5500 for information about the county’s Business Hazardous Waste Collection Program.
- Because of safety concerns related to the handling of various types of hazardous materials, the events feature a drive-through process in which residents are instructed to remain in their vehicles and allow event staff to unload any items accepted for disposal. To ensure everyone remains in their vehicle while at the point of service, items must not be in sealed or tied plastic bags. Staff are not allowed to open any plastic bag containing HHW.
Future Loudoun County HHW Events (All events are from 8:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.)
- The next HHW event is scheduled to be held in March 2023. Once the date is available, it will be posted at loudoun.gov/hhw.
HHW Contact Information
- For more information about the Loudoun County Household Hazardous Waste Program, call 703-771-5500 or visit loudoun.gov/hhw.
# # #