Loudoun County residents continue to give the county high marks and express satisfaction with county services and the quality of life, according to results of the 2022 Loudoun County Survey of Residents, which were presented to the Board of Supervisors Tuesday, May 2, 2023.
The survey results illustrate the nationwide trend of a decline in overall perception of county services, which is a trend for the approximately 500 national benchmarks that participate in the survey. Loudoun County fared well compared to its benchmarks, with 50 of the 123 ratings being 10 percentage points higher than other jurisdictions with similar populations. This finding indicates that residents have excellent or good views of the county’s economic health, their feeling of safety, the availability of recreational opportunities, and the county’s utility infrastructure. In addition, economic health, safety, utility infrastructure, residential and commercial design, and the natural environment were the top areas of importance for residents, according to the survey.
Key findings include:
- The economy in Loudoun County remains an asset and a priority for residents.
- Many aspects of Loudoun County’s community design receive positive reviews, but residents identify some areas of opportunity.
- Ratings for mobility and transportation are generally positive; alternatives to automobile-based transportation may be an area of focus for the county.
- Safety is a community strength and remains a priority for residents.
- Affordability is an area of opportunity for the county, with survey respondents rating the cost of living, cost of housing and Loudoun as a place to retire as less positive than other indicators.
Residents also identified areas where Loudoun should focus its attention in the next two years. These included schools, the cost of living/cost of housing, road maintenance, youth activities/reduction of youth crime, crime/drug use and traffic. Each of these areas were rated as essential or very important by 80 percent or more of survey respondents.
The 2022 Loudoun County Survey of Residents was conducted by the National Research Center. This periodic survey of residents helps Loudoun County glean insight regarding residents’ level of satisfaction with county services and obtain residents’ opinions on key county issues, such as growth management, public safety and taxes.
More information about the 2022 Loudoun County Survey of Residents and results of past surveys are online at loudoun.gov/survey.
# # #