I receive a bill or pay my bill for my Business Personal Property Tax (BPPT) every year. Why do I have to file to be “in compliance”?

In order for a business to be “in compliance” with Loudoun County business tax requirements, all BPOL filings and payments and Business Personal Property Tax (BPPT) filings are due each year by March 1st. Business owners, including home based businesses making more than $10,000 in a calendar year, are also required to submit a current asset list of all property purchased or acquired by their business annually, along with the Business Personal Property Tax filings.

Failure to file BPPT (i.e. Computer Equipment and Furniture & Fixtures) will result in the business account being statutorily assessed for BPPT. A statutory assessment is calculated/applied by rolling forward the previous year’s adjusted assessed value, adding 20% to the assessed value to create the penalized taxable value and then assessing the tax upon the penalized taxable value.

(Prior Year’s Assessed Value x 1.20) ÷ 100 x $4.15 = BPPT Statutory Assessment

If you have not filed your BPPT and have received a bill presently or in the past, your business has been statutorily assessed. If you need assistance creating an asset list, filing your BPPT or have questions regarding prior year statutory assessments, please contact our office for assistance.

Show All Answers

1. A Tax Compliance Officer, from the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue, visited my business location. What should I do?
2. I received an audit letter in the mail. Do I have to answer or comply?
3. What is an asset list and what should it contain?
4. I receive a bill or pay my bill for my Business Personal Property Tax (BPPT) every year. Why do I have to file to be “in compliance”?
5. Where can I find information about starting a business?
6. How do I register my business with Loudoun County, renew my business license or file my business personal property?
7. I received a letter asking for a tenant list for the properties I rent. Do I have to answer or comply?
8. My business is located within the incorporated limits of Hamilton, Hillsboro, Leesburg, Lovettsville, Middleburg, Purcellville, or Round Hill. Who should I contact regarding my business license?
9. I have concerns regarding neighbors in home business/I have concerns regarding crowding. Who should I contact?
10. Who should I contact regarding the status of a vehicle with out of state plates regularly located within Loudoun County?