What do I need to open a new case?

Cover sheet, the original initiating document (Petition/Complaint) in proper legal format (Rule 3:2 § 8.01) and the filing fee. If you would like service prepared, provide a cover letter requesting the type of service and the service fee. Get more information on services.

Unlike the two District Courts, the Circuit Court does not typically provide “forms” for use by litigants in filing civil suits. Attorneys or pro se parties are to prepare the legal documents needed to file a suit. When filing a civil case in the Circuit Court, the filing party is responsible for ensuring that all pleadings are prepared in accordance with the Code of Virginia and Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia. Hence, it is strongly recommended that the services of an attorney be employed when filing a civil action at the Circuit Court level.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to open a new case?
2. How do I reopen my existing case?
3. Where can I find a list of your local rules?
4. When is your Motions Day?
5. How do I schedule a hearing?
6. Can I fax or email a pleading, motion, etc.?
7. Can I pay for a copy over the phone?
8. How can I find the status of the case?
9. How do I notify the court of an address change?
10. How do I get a bond released?
11. Which court processes child support, custody and visitation?
12. Where do I file for Bankruptcy?
13. What if I need an interpreter?
14. What if I need a transcript of what happened in court?
15. How do I appeal my case?
16. How do I withdraw my appeal from GDC or JDR?
17. How do I serve someone by publication?
18. How do I file for divorce?
19. How do I petition the court for amendment of a death certificate?
20. How do I petition the court for a change of sex?
21. How do I request the Clerk to prepare a Subpoena Deuces Tecum?
22. How do I request the Clerk to prepare a Witness Subpoena?