Riverside Parkway: Loudoun County Parkway to Lexington Drive
- This project funds the design and construction of a new four-lane, divided road segment of Riverside Parkway from Silvery Blue Terrace to Loudoun County Parkway at George Washington Boulevard, the removal of Lexington Drive on both sides of Route 7, a new Loudoun Water main, and the replacement of the existing temporary traffic signal at Loudoun County Parkway and George Washington Boulevard with a permanent signal.
- In conjunction with the planned Battlefield Parkway Interchange project, traffic flow will improve by enabling Route 7 to operate as a freeway west of Countryside Boulevard in Loudoun County.
- Planning for the completion of this missing segment of Riverside Parkway began in June of 2013.
- The project is estimated to be completed by the fall of 2021.
Current Status: November 2020
- On November 30, 2020, Loudoun County will begin traffic signal work at the intersection of Loudoun County Parkway and George Washington Boulevard, weather permitting. This work will be conducted during the day, Monday through Friday, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for an approximate duration of five days ending the week of December 6, 2020.
- The work will include removing the existing temporary traffic signals and installing four (4) new traffic signal poles, mast arms, signal heads, pedestrian poles and other related work necessary for this signalized intersection.
- Flagging operations, lane closures and temporary traffic stoppages will be needed to safely install the mast arms and poles over traffic. Each traffic stoppage will last for approximately 5 minutes. Drivers should use extra caution when traveling through this area and follow all directions from the posted signs and road crews.
- All curb ramps (8 in total) and paved path connections at each intersection have been constructed, excluding the two (2) curb ramps at Pearl Crescent Square that will need to be redesigned and reinstalled so no obstructions exist and function correctly. Currently, the sidewalk/ramp on the northwest corner of the Pearl Crescent Sq. intersection is a temporary condition to facilitate pedestrian access during the work. The remaining two curb ramps are scheduled to be completed in December 2020.
- Construction activities for the entire length of the new roadway from Pearl Crescent to Loudoun County Parkway are now underway. Work currently includes curb and gutter, aggregate stone base, paving, utilities and a traffic signal. Motorists may experience minor delays in this area on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- A new temporary detour will be built on Smith Circle east in early October. Once opened, drivers are encourage to proceed with caution. View the Smith Circle Temporary Detour Plan (PDF) for details.
- By early October 2020, traffic will be rerouted onto a short section of newly constructed Riverside Parkway, starting at Pearl Crescent Square and ending at Smith Circle West. Message boards and orange barrels will be in place for safety and to direct traffic. View the Riverside Parkway Temporary Traffic Plan (PDF) for details.
- Lexington Drive from Silvery Blue Terrace to Blue Mount Nursery will be permanently closed and removed. Motorists are advised to use the newly constructed Garden Center Court to access Blue Mount Nursery at the intersection of the Smith Circle West and Riverside Parkway. View the Riverside Parkway Temporary Traffic Plan (PDF) for details.
- The intersection of Silvery Blue Terrace and Lexington Drive will remain closed while a new entrance to Silvery Blue Terrace is constructed to align with the new roadway. A detour, from Silvery Blue Terrace to Fiery Skipper Terrace to Pearl Crescent Square, will allow access to Lexington Drive until the reconstructed entrance at Silvery Blue Terrace is safe for vehicular traffic. View the Silvery Blue Terrace Detour Plan (PDF) for details.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Riverside Parkway segment project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Riverside Parkway Information Meeting Display_September 2019 (PDF)
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.