Riverside Parkway: Loudoun County Parkway to Lexington Drive
- This project funds the design and construction of a new four-lane, divided road segment of Riverside Parkway from Silvery Blue Terrace to Loudoun County Parkway at George Washington Boulevard, the removal of Lexington Drive on both sides of Route 7, a new Loudoun Water main, and the replacement of the existing temporary traffic signal at Loudoun County Parkway and George Washington Boulevard with a permanent signal.
- In conjunction with the planned Battlefield Parkway Interchange project, traffic flow will improve by enabling Route 7 to operate as a freeway west of Countryside Boulevard in Loudoun County.
- Planning for the completion of this missing segment of Riverside Parkway began in June of 2013.
- The project is estimated to be completed by the fall of 2021.
Current Status: July 2020
- A temporary detour on Smith Circle west is planned to be completed in July 2020 and used by all traffic until October 2020. Message boards and orange barrels will be in place for safety and to direct traffic. The construction of the detour on Smith Circle east is expected to be completed by September 2020, weather permitting.
- Storm water management facilities have been excavated and will remain at temporary grades for the next several months. Erosion and sediment control work is ongoing.
- Work to construct the roadway embankment has begun and will continue over the next several weeks. Existing roadways in the area are subject to temporary lane closures on weekdays, with possible closures on evenings and weekends.
- Underground utility work is in process and will continue for several weeks. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists are cautioned to proceed with care near the construction area, as they may encounter steel plates and loose gravel during utility installation.
- Work is underway that will allow for the reopening of the west bound lanes on Lexington Drive from Smith Circle to Pearl Crescent Square. Until the reopening, traffic will continue to be diverted to the two existing eastbound lanes and this segment of Lexington Drive will be subject to one lane closures on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Temporary construction entrances have been established on Smith Circle (east & west). Motorists may experience minor delays due to flagging in this area on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for construction activities.
- The intersection of Silvery Blue Terrace and Lexington Drive will remain closed while a new entrance to Silvery Blue Terrace is constructed to align with the new roadway. A detour, from Silvery Blue Terrace to Fiery Skipper Terrace to Pearl Crescent Square, will allow access to Lexington Drive until the reconstructed entrance at Silvery Blue Terrace is safe for vehicular traffic. View the detour plan for details. View the detour plan for details.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Riverside Parkway segment project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Riverside Parkway Information Meeting Display_September 2019 (PDF)
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.