Fiscal Year 2020 Budget & Fiscal Year 2021 Budget Process
Proposed FY 2021 Budget
Loudoun County Administrator Tim Hemstreet presented his proposed Fiscal Year 2021 (FY 2021) Budget at a meeting of the Board of Supervisors Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
Proposed Budget Presentation
- County Administrator’s Proposed FY 2021 Budget Presentation (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- News Release: County Administrator Presents Proposed FY 2021 Budget Opens a New Window.
- Proposed FY 2021 Budget Document: Volume 1 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Proposed FY 2021 Budget Document: Volume 2 (CIP) Opens a New Window.
- Note: View the FY 2021 Proposed Budget Document section-by-section below.
Capital Improvement Program Presentation
The County Administrator presented the proposed FY 2021 Capital Improvement Program to a meeting of the Board’s Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee February 11, 2020.
There are several ways in which members of the public may participate in the budget process, including Board of Supervisors public hearings, email, voice messages and social media. The Board will hold three public hearings on the proposed FY 2021 budget. The hearings are scheduled for:
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 3:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 6:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Saturday, February 29, 2020, 9:00 a.m., Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.
Opens a New Window.
Anyone who wishes to speak at the public hearings may sign up in advance for one speaking slot, beginning Thursday, February 13, 2020, by calling 703-777-0204.
The public hearings at the government center will be available for viewing on Comcast Government TV Channel 23, Open Band Channel 40, and Verizon FiOS Channel 40. They will also be webcast at loudoun.gov/webcast.
Members of the public may also:
- Leave a message on the Board of Supervisors’ Comment Line at 703-777-0115.
- Send an email to the Board of Supervisors or write to the Board of Supervisors, P.O. Box 7000, Leesburg, VA 20177.
- Provide comments through the Loudoun County government’s Facebook and Twitter sites.
FY 2021 Budget Work Sessions
The Board of Supervisors will hold work sessions on the FY 2021 budget in March. Links to documents prepared for the work sessions will be posted here.
- Monday, March 2, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 5, 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 7, 9:00 a.m. (If needed)
- Monday, March 9, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 12, 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 14, 9:00 a.m. (If needed)
- Monday, March 16, 6:00 p.m.
The Board’s Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee will hold work sessions on the proposed Capital Improvement Program. Documents for the meeting will be posted here.
- Thursday, February 20, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 4, 6:00 p.m.
The Board of Supervisors is expected to adopt the FY 2021 Budget on April 7, 2020.
Revenue and Trends
General Government Administration
Public Safety and Judicial Administration
Health and Welfare
Parks, Recreation and Culture
CIP Executive Summary
- 7 - CIP Executive Summary
- 7a - Guide to the Proposed CIP
- 7b - Summary of the Capital Budget
- 7c - Factors Affecting the Proposed CIP
- 7d - New and Deferred, Removed, or Reprogrammed Projects
- 7e - Schedule of Appropriations
- 7f - Operating Impact Analysis
- 7g - Comparison Tables
- 7h - Schedule of Financing and Referenda
CIP Prevously Authorized Projects
CIP County Projects
CIP Transportation Projects
CIP Schools Projects
Debt Service Fund
Other Appropriated Funds
- 13 - Other Appropriated Funds
- 13a - Capital Asset Preservation Program Fund
- 13c - County OPEB Trust Fund
- 13d - Dulles Town Center CDA Fund
- 13e - EMS Transport Fund
- 13f - Greenlea Tax District Fund
- 13g - Housing Fund
- 13h - Legal Resource Center Fund
- 13i - Major Equipment Replacement Fund
- 13j - Metro Parking Garages Fund
- 13k - Public Facilities Fund
- 13l - Rental Assistance Program Fund
- 13m - Restricted TOT Fund
- 13n - Route 28 Special Improvements Fund
- 13o - State and Federal Grant Fund
- 13p - Tall Oaks Water and Sewer Fund
- 13q - Transportation District Fund
The Fiscal Year 2020 Program Review provides a comprehensive inventory and description of department programs, activities, and services with supporting performance measures. This document serves as a companion to the annual budget document and describes Loudoun County government services in greater detail.
The Loudoun County government’s adopted budget for Fiscal Year 2020, which began July 1, 2019, is made up of two volumes. Volume 1 includes the executive summary, general fund revenue and trends, and operating expenditures. Volume 2 includes the FY 2019-FY 2024 Amended Capital Improvement Program.
FY 2020 Budget Adopted
On April 2, 2019, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors adopted the Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020) budget, which totals about $3.2 billion in total appropriations for the general county government and school system for FY 2020.
Where the Money Goes
Follow the dollar bill graphic below to view a representation of where tax dollars are used in Loudoun County under the Adopted Fiscal Year 2020 Budget.