Service Changes for Loudoun County Transit
Attention: All Commuter Bus Riders into Washington D.C. - Notice of Bus Stop Reinstatement
Construction on H Street NW has been completed and all of the streets have reopened. Normal service will begin on Tuesday, October 10th, for the following bus stops:
- H Street NW & 8th Street NW
- H Street NW & 4th Street NW
- H Street NW & N Capitol Street NW
- N Capitol Street NW and Massachusetts Avenue NW
- E Street NW & New Jersey Avenue NW (this stop will temporarily be relocated to the morning E Street NW & New Jersey Avenue NW stop)
Staff would like to thank all of the commuters who were affected by these temporary stop closures. The patience and cooperation shown by each of you during this past few months is very much appreciated!!
New Dulles South Park and Ride lot
All morning Dulles South buses, except 208 and 209W, will depart from the new 300-space park and ride lot known as Stone Ridge II starting Monday, July 10, 2017. The address of the new park and ride lot is 24281 Millstream Drive and it is located approximately one-and-a-half blocks west of the current Stone Ridge lot on Millstream Drive.
Routes 208 and 209W will be picked up on Millstream Drive at the crosswalk at the 100-space Stone Ridge park and ride lot.
A map that shows the locations of the new lot, the 100-space lot and the old Stone Ridge lot can be found here.
Schedules for the Dulles South routes can be found here.
Crystal City Route Changes effective Monday, July 10, 2017
Starting Monday, July 10, 2017, the commuter bus stop currently located at Crystal Drive & 18th Street will be relocated two blocks west on 18th Street below the Route 1 overpass. Arlington County has built three bus bays below the overpass and has requested that Loudoun start using them as soon as possible. This location change will alter the bus routing on all Crystal City routes. In particular, Routes 301E, 302E, 403E and 417E will drop off at the 18th Street stop and the Crystal Drive and 23rd Street stop prior to dropping off at S. Eads Street and 12th Street. Click here to view a map showing the new location of the 18th Street stop.
Schedules for routes serving Crystal City are below.
Local Bus and Metro Connection Service Bus Route changes effective July 1, 2017
The following Local Fixed Routes, Metro Connection routes and Premium Commuter Bus routes will be discontinued. The last day of service for these routes is Friday, June 30, 2017.
- Route 85 – Dulles South Express: Anyone riding this route should call Virginia Regional Transit at 540-338-1610 to see if they are a candidate for an On Demand pick up. For riders who were taking RT 85 to East Gate to catch the Route 88X, an alternative is to park at the East Gate park and ride lot.
- Route 86 - Ashburn Link Shuttle: Riders of this service will have to find alternative transportation to their preferred park and ride lot.
- Route 89X: Riders from Inova Loudoun Hospital may consider these options:
- Ride Route 70 East bus to One Loudoun and transfer (free) to Route 72 which travels to the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail station.
- Ride Route 70 East to the Dulles Town Center mall and transfer (free) to Route 87X which travels to the Wiehe-Reston East Metrorail station.
- The mid-day, Monday - Friday shuttle bus from the Dulles North Transit Center to Christian Fellowship Church, Ashburn North and Telos. The alternative for riders from Telos, Ashburn North and CFC who want to ride the mid-day bus is to park at the Dulles North Transit Center.
Reverse Commute Routes 990, 991, 992 & 993 are going to be served by Loudoun County's local bus contractor starting on Monday, July 3rd. The local buses are not equipped with fareboxes; therefore only cash and punch passes will be accepted as fare payments beginning on Monday, July 3rd. Any questions on punch passes should be directed to the Transportation & Capital Infrastructure customer service line at 703-771-5665.
Details on Local Bus and Metro Connection Service Bus Route Changes
There are other changes, including new stops and route modifications effective July 1, 2017. Click on the links below or the image at right for a flier detailing the changes.
Paratransit Bus Service
With the discontinuation of the Dulles South Express (Route 85), ADA passengers (those with disabilities) within three-fourths of a mile of the Dulles South route should contact Virginia Regional Transit at 1-877-777-2708.
Premium Commuter Bus (Long Haul) Service
The following Premium Commuter Bus routes will be discontinued. The last day of service for these routes is Friday, July 7, 2017.
- Route 102E – Alternative buses for riders of the 102E are as follows:
- 301E – 5:45 a.m. from Dulles North Transit Center to the Pentagon and Crystal City
- 203E – 6:00 a.m. from Dulles North Transit Center to the Pentagon and Crystal City
- Route 800D Shadow –The alternative for riders from Brambleton and Dulles South who want to ride this Friday-only overflow mid-day bus from Washington D.C. is to park at the Dulles North Transit Center.
Background on Service Changes
Each year, Loudoun County Transit Services evaluates the performance of all Loudoun County Transit Local Fixed Route, Metro Connection and Premium Commuter Bus routes (long haul). The performance metrics used to measure each route's viability are “Riders per Revenue Hour” and “Cost per Boarding.” Loudoun County has established the following criteria:
Any route that performs less than half of the Riders per Revenue Hour or more than double the average Cost per Boarding for each service as a whole, is a candidate for adjustment or elimination.
Send Your Comments
Comments regarding any suggested route, stop or schedule changes are welcomed and should be emailed to . Commuters may also contact us by phone at 1-877-465-2287 or 703-771-5665. A customer service representative is available to speak to callers Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Visit www.loudoun.gov/transit for complete information about commuting options in Loudoun County.