- Sign up for news and updates related to Environment and Energy in Notify Me, News Flash Category
- View all news and updates related to Environment and Energy.
Environmental Excellence Award Winners Honored
Winners of the Loudoun Environmental Commission's inaugural Environmental Excellence Awards were honored at the Board of Supervisors meeting April 18, 2023. Read details in this news release.
Increasing environmental sustainability and resilience for the health, safety and welfare of Loudoun residents and businesses is a strategic initiative of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. Current efforts include:
- Implementing the Environmental and Energy Work Plan approved by the Board of Supervisors at the Board's Environmental Summit July 27, 2022. Find details in this news release (PDF).
- Updating the county's Energy Strategy. On February 21, 2023, the Board of Supervisors adopted the 2023 Energy Strategy. View details.
- Amending Chapter 825 of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun, which governs the Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) Program, to expand eligible properties and projects to align with the full extent of Virginia’s Clean Energy Financing Law.
- Investigating the potential for executing Power Purchase Agreements as a tool for expanding use of renewable energy sources.
- Review of the county fleet and alternative energy sources, specifically electric, hybrid and natural gas options.
Read a review of Loudoun County's current and past environmental initiatives, strategies and actions (PDF)
The county's Environmental Commission is building an environmental strategy for the Board of Supervisors to consider. The commission, which includes a wide range of representation from the community, industry and higher education, is currently focusing on five key topic areas:
- Energy sustainability, including clean and renewable energy usage;
- Enhancing natural resources, such as trees, wildlife, watersheds, and land conservation;
- Environmental justice, which examines the impact of environmental issues on underserved populations;
- “Government by example,” which includes programs to enhance the sustainability of Loudoun County government operations;
- Increasing public engagement in environmental and sustainability initiatives.
- Agricultural and Forestal Districts
- Clean Waters Initiative
- Loudoun County Watersheds
- Loudoun's Scenic Rivers
- Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Board
- Solid Waste Management Plan @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>