Evergreen Mills Road / Watson Road Short Term Road Improvements
In coordination with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), construction crews will begin roadway improvements beginning this fall on Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road lasting over the next 12 months. The corridor road safety audits of Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road identified short-term improvements to improve roadway safety. These safety improvements are proposed at locations that have higher risk for potential crashes and crash "hot spots" that were identified along both corridors included in the safety study. These improvements were presented to the public at a public information meeting and were approved by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors.
Throughout the next year, construction crews will begin the following improvements:
- Signs and pavement markings.
- Advance warning flashing beacons.
- Traffic signal operations and timing improvements.
- Delineators (above-ground retroreflective devices along the outside roadway edge, to better delineate the edge of travel way).
- Vegetation trimming to improve sight distance.
A road safety audit was conducted in 2017 and 2018 to examine Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway and Watson Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Route 50 and made recommendations for improvements.
Current Status: July 2022
- Crews will be installing new pavement markings in key locations along Evergreen Mills Road and Arcola Mills Drive, as shown on the map linked below. These construction activities will begin in late July 2022 and are expected to be complete by the end of summer 2022. During this time, motorists may experience delays due to temporary lane closures and/or flagging operations, which are necessary to complete this work. See maps depicting approximate locations of the different improvements being constructed, and where residents may see construction activity
- Construction will start in fall 2021 during daytime hours. During construction, travelers can anticipate temporary and short-term traffic stoppages, lane closures and flagging operations with little advanced notice. Drivers should use extra caution and plan ahead when traveling through this area and follow all directions from the posted signs and road crews.
- Advance warning beacons with constant 24/7 flashers have been installed, and are fully operational, at the locations listed below.
- Eastbound approach to the Arcola Mills Drive/Briarfield Lane/Belmont Ridge Road/ traffic signal
- Westbound approach to the Evergreen Mills Road/English Yew Place/Heritage High School traffic signal
- Eastbound approach to the Evergreen Mills Road/Red Hill Road/Ryan Road traffic signal
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Evergreen Mills and Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Questions on the project can be emailed to county staff or by calling 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Affairs and Communications Officer or call 703-771-5086.