The types of permits that may be required, depending on the complexity of the project, are as follows:
Where to Apply
- A building permit is required for construction of architectural and structural elements.
- An electrical permit is required for all electrical installations.
- A gas permit is required for installations of all elements and appliances associated with gas piping systems.
- A mechanical permit is required when adding or extending ductwork.
- A plumbing permit is required for installations of all elements and appliances associated with plumbing systems.
Application for a permit can be made at the Building and Development Department front counter:
- Loudoun County Government Center
1 Harrison Street, S.E., Second Floor
Leesburg, Virginia 20175
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Ph: 703-777-0220
Cost of Permits
Building permit fees are based on one percent of the construction cost, not including electrical, mechanical, plumbing and gas, with a $65 (sixty-five) minimum.
After the building permit is issued, separate electrical, mechanical, plumbing and gas permits can be issued. Separate fees will be charged for each of these permits, based on the equipment listed on the permit applications.
Who Should Apply for Permits
You may secure the building permit in your own name; however, if a contractor is to perform the work, Loudoun County suggests that the contractor be listed on the permit as the party responsible for the work. In this way, the county will be in a better position to assist you in gaining compliance with codes if the work is defective. A contractor must be properly licensed in order to obtain a permit.
Regardless of who applies for the permit, the property owner must sign the Building/Zoning Permit application.