Go To Search
Click to Home
Site Tools
2011 Winners
Historic District Design Excellence Awards
In 2011, the Joint Architectural Review Board (JARB) awarded six Historic District Design Excellence Awards in five categories and four Community Blue Ribbon Awards.

The following are the 2011 award recipients.



Belle Maison SignCategory: Signage
Project: Belle Maison
Property: 170 West Main Street, Purcellville Historic District
Owner: Lisa Lang

Project Description: Belle Maison, located on West Main Street in Purcellville specializes in antiques, home furnishings and interior designs. The business was established in 2010 by Lisa Lang and has developed as a staple of Purcellville’s historic downtown.

The sign is one of the most distinctive signs in Purcellville and features a unique cast-iron frame with intricate scrollwork, a carved pineapple and hand painted logo. The classic design captures the business’ commitment to elegance and Historic Downtown Purcellville.





Wegmeyer Farms Before
Wegmeyer Farms After
Category:
Renovation
Project: Wegmeyer Farms
Property: 38299 Hughesville Road
Owner: Tyler and Harriet Wegmeyer

Project Description: This property, historically known as Grassymead, has been the site of various farming and agricultural operations dating back to the 18th century when Israel Janney operated a grist mill.

The Wegmeyers purchased the deteriorating farm house in 2004. The Wegmeyers completely renovated the mid-19th century stucco farmhouse to meet their 21st century needs including the removal of historically inaccurate alterations made in the 1980s and the incorporation of a sympathetic 2nd story addition.

A porch on the rear elevation was restored using original columns, salvaged by the Wegmeyers, and flagstone to blend with the stone foundation of the house as well as new surrounding patios, walkways, and retaining walls.



Thomas Birkby HouseCategory: Rehabilitation / Restoration
Project: Thomas Birkby House
Property: 109 Loudoun Street in the Leesburg Old and Historic District
Owners: Ron Rust and Judy Kozacik

Project Description: Constructed in phases beginning in the late 18th century, the Thomas Birkby House is an outstanding example of Federal-style architecture in downtown Leesburg. The building remained residential through the mid-20th century and was only converted to commercial use in the late 1900s.

The current owners purchased the property in 1998. Starting in 1999, Judy and Ron worked to restore the main building, removing previous 20th Century “improvements,” stabilizing and rehabilitating the masonry barn, and converting the property to use as a special events venue that has become a center of activity in Leesburg.



Bush TabernacleCategory: Rehabilitation / Restoration
Project: Bush Tabernacle
Property: 250 South Nursery Avenue in the Purcellville Historic District
Owners: Town of Purcellville

Project Description: This façade renovation project involved renovating the existing building facade to define two distinct buildings. Previous renovations to the buildings, completed prior to the historic district regulation, reflected a more contemporary style.

Renovation of the federal style building on the right involved new trim work, the addition of a stone water table, and painting the building. To distinguish the building on the left, the owner employed a colonial adaptation adding pillars, siding, trim work, and a new pent roof in addition to relocating and changing windows in the second floor and painting the building. The result is an inviting street frontage, which is more in context with its surroundings. The project was completed in 2009. (Photo: Copyright, Rick McCleary, 2010)



Chinn's CrossingCategory: New Construction
Project: Chinn's Crossing
Property: 110 West Washington Street in the Middleburg Historic District
Owners: Chat Hughey, Ithaca Properties

Project Description: The site for Chinn’s Crossing consists of nine parcels with two existing structures contributing to Middleburg’s National Register Historic District. The project, named after one of area’s original settlers, Joseph Chinn, is located near the center of the town’s business district.

Ithaca Properties rehabilitated the two existing structures and integrated them with two new buildings. The new buildings were designed to appear to have been constructed at different times. The larger of the two was designed to appear to be three separate buildings to be compatible with the fine-grained scale of the historic buildings in Middleburg.



Pancoast Building Before
Pancoast Building After
Category:
Restoration Detail
Project: Pancoast Building
Property: 115-119 North 21st Street in the Purcellville Historic District
Owners: Atoka Properties

Project Description: The Pancoast Building was constructed in 1909. The building served as Asa Moore Janney’s Home-Run Clothing Store and is a contributing structure to the Purcellville Historic District. The building is now a mix of commercial and office spaces.

In 2010, the two-story building received a much needed face-lift which included matching awnings to flank the recessed entryway, goose neck lighting, unified signage, addition of script lettering identifying the building, and a dramatic color change which was based on paint analysis to match the original appearance of the building.

The details of this restoration project helped to transform the Pancoast building from a dated office building into an active and prominent player in the Downtown Purcellville Streetscape.





Community Blue Ribbon
In 2011, the JARB created a new award category, Community Blue Ribbon, to recognize outstanding preservation projects outside of the 10 locally designated historic districts. These projects were nominated by Loudoun County residents in recognition of the outstanding preservation efforts of the individual property owners and as a thank you for their dedication to preserving Loudoun’s historic heritage.



East Lynn Before East Lynn Stairs Before
East Lynn After East Lynn Stairs After
Project:
East Lynn Restoration
Property: 19955 Airmont Road
Owner: Georgia Ravitz and Peter Basser

Project Description: East Lynn was built for Bushrod Lynn, a Virginia State Senator, Virginia Penitentiary Superintendent and civil war veteran, circa 1869.

The farm was purchased in 2004 by a development company with the intent to create a new residential subdivision. After acquiring the property, Georgia and Peter placed the entire 145 acres in a conservation easement to protect the property against future divisions or demolition.

The renovation project included the reconstruction of a collapsing porch based on historic photos and the restoration of the unique spiral staircase. The staircase was stabilized and refinished. During removal of the hallway plaster, an original doorway was discovered that had since been bricked. While the structural instability of the house precluded the re-installation of the door, a large window was installed in its place, evoking a similar feeling and restoring a view of the mountains from the front hall.



McLaughlin Residence Before
McLaughlin Residence After
Project:
McLaughlin Residence Restoration
Property: 45 East Broad Way in Lovettsville
Owner: Patrick and Alexis McLaughlin

Project Description: Patrick and Alexis McLaughlin have been working on the restoration of their historic Lovettsville home for more than 10 years. The Queen Anne house was built circa 1899 by Charles Frye and was enlarged in 1920 by Dr. C.E. Foley.

The McLaughlins purchased the property in 2000. All of the exterior wood siding was repaired and restored, as were the original windows. Patrick also restored all of the hardwood flooring on the interior and the plaster walls. The McLaughlin’s undertaking demonstrates the devotion necessary to preserve the historic character of the communities that we love.

It is notable that the Town of Lovettsville is in the midst of a national register nomination which would not be possible without the commitment of property owners like the McLaughlins.





Rock Hill Before
Rock Hill After
Project:
Rock Hill Restoration
Property: 20775 Airmont Road
Owner: Vas and Linda Devan

Project Description: Rock Hill farm, located on Airmont Road between Upperville and Bloomfield, sits on 68 acres of open pasture, protected by a conservation easement. The main structure is a federal style stucco farmhouse dating to 1797 and was built for Abner Humprehy and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

During the restoration of the property, the Devan’s took special care to retain the historic patina of the property. Original woodwork, such as the 18th century cover-mantle in the front parlor, was protected during the project. Original floor boards damaged by radiator leaks were replaced with salvaged wood flooring to match and bowed floor joists were stabilized but not straightened in an effort to retain the historic character of the house. Mechanical upgrades were installed invisibly below the floors during repairs.

The restoration of the house and historic accessory buildings is a testament to Vas and Linda’s dedication to preserving the historic and cultural character of Loudoun County.



Morven Park
Morven Park Stairs Before Morven Park Stairs After
Project:
Westmoreland Davis Mansion Restoration
Property: Morven Park
Owner: Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation

Project Description: The main central portion of the current mansion was built circa 1830. The property was purchased by Westmoreland Davis and his wife in 1903 and remained the Davis’ family home during his tenure as Governor of Virginia from 1918 to 1922.

The property has been open to the public since 1967 and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1975. Over the last few decades, the mansion suffered from water infiltration and structural damage, as well as outdated mechanical and electrical systems.

The Westmoreland Davis Foundation began a conservation project in 2005 with the goal of stabilizing and protecting the historic mansion. The project included the creation of new drainage systems, stabilization of the foundation, and installation of state-of-the-art electrical, geothermal HVAC, and fire protection systems. A paint analysis was performed on the plaster throughout the house, seen here in the stairwell, and new paint colors were selected to match as closely as possible the colors used during the era of Westmoreland Davis.

Loudoun On
Site Tools