Go To Search
Click to Home
Site Tools
2012 Winners

2012 Joint Architectural Review Board Winners


In 2012, the Joint Architectural Review Board (JARB) awarded eight Historic District Design Excellence Awards in five categories and two Community Blue Ribbon Awards.

The following are the 2012 award recipients:

Category: Signage
Project: Common Grounds
Property: 114 W. Washington Street, Middleburg Historic District
Owner: Duane & Cyndi Ellis

Project Description: Common Grounds is located on West Washington Street in the heart of the Middleburg Historic District.
 
The sign was designed to reflect the character of Middleburg while also presenting something new and fresh. The sign resembles an Apothecary shop with a coffee cup and spoon in lieu of the traditional mortar and pestle.
 
There are many meanings contained in the sign; the circle (which has for many centuries) represented unity, wholeness, inclusion; and the pineapple which represents hospitality, warm welcome, inclusion, for generations of people. Even the name of the shop “common grounds” was intended to represent a hub of community activity & diversity.
 Common Grounds (click for larger image)

Category: Restoration Detail
Project: Shamrock Music Shoppe
Property: 108 N. 21st Street, Purcellville Historic District
Owner: Scott Kinney & Pat Kinney

Project Description: Located on 21st in the center of Purcellville’s historic business district, Shamrock Music Shoppe was awarded a Design Excellence Award in the category of restoration detail for recent façade improvements to the building.
 
The two-story late Victorian commercial building was constructed c. 1915 and has housed numerous commercial uses throughout its history. In 2011, shop owner Scott Kinney, with the help of a matching grant from the Town of Purcellville, began a rehabilitation of the façade of the building which included a parapet wall adorned with a decorative cornice supported by heavy brackets and corbelled brick. The original first floor storefront windows and inset entrance were stripped and repainted and a new awning and signage were added to complete the exterior rehabilitation. Also during the project, the interior of the building, which features tin ceilings and early period detailing, was restored.
 
The restored exterior and interior architectural elements all contribute to the character of building which has become a gathering place for local musicians and exemplifies the small town character of Purcellville.
 Shamrock Music Shoppe (click for larger image)

Category: Addition
Property: 211 N. Cornwall Street, Leesburg Old & Historic District
Owner: Ronald Rogos & Tracy Coffing

Project Description: In April 2011, Ronald Rogos and Tracy Coffing purchased 211 Cornwall Street, NW in Leesburg’s Old and Historic District. The original section of the house was built in 1788, with additions in 1818, 1834 and the mid-20th century. Ron and Tracy contracted with Thomas J. Gilbride Architects, Inc. to design a rear two-story addition consisting of a basement, kitchen, master bedroom suite and attic. The ultimate goal of the project was to construct an addition that would accommodate current living and space requirements AND be in keeping with the style and scale of the original structure and 19th century additions.

Upon BAR approval of the proposed addition, the existing one-story kitchen addition was demolished to make way for excavation and construction. The project also included the maintenance of the existing garden shed and the construction of a new workshop at the rear of the property. New construction, repairs and preservation work was managed and/or executed by PR Construction.

On-going work includes continued repointing of the brick masonry, re-glazing windows, repair and replacement of exterior shutters, landscaping and restoration of the formal gardens.
 211 N Cornwall (click for larger image)211 N Cornwall (click for larger image)

Category: Addition
Project: National Sporting Library & Museum
Property: 102 The Plains Road, Middleburg Historic District
Owner: National Sporting Library & Museum

Project Description: When the National Sporting Library wanted to house its growing collection of sporting art, the 1805 federal mansion it owned was a logical choice. The building is located on a prominent site at the edge of Middleburg and care had to be taken to preserve the building’s relationship to the Town.

The program eventually grew to over 16000 square feet, requiring a 10000 square foot addition. Primarily this was to house 2 large galleries but also included considerable support services. The challenge was not to overwhelm the older structure. While more contemporary ideas were considered, the context of Middleburg architecture led the Museum to a traditional, harmonious approach in the federal style. The two large 24x42 foot galleries were stacked to form the main block and a connector wing housing the elevator, stair and services stepped down to meet the old mansion. Most of the services were located below grade and under terraces to minimize the mass of the structure. The most visible feature is the two story polygonal copper clad bay housing the main stair. This not only provides a graceful connection between the galleries but reinforces the idea that this is a public cultural institution. The copper cladding is repeated in the connector to the original structure, separating the materials and detailing so that the vine hill mansion maintains its integrity. Work was also done to preserve portions of the original structure. The landscaping is mostly from the original site, returned in a modified configuration after construction; with the goal of creating a structure within a campus that appears to have been there a long time.
 
National Sporting Library and Museum (click for larger image)

Category: New Construction
Property: 18671 Trinity Church Road, Goose Creek Historic District
Owner: Brian & Carol Young

Project Description: The 2012 award for new construction recognizes a very unique approach to designing a new home in the rural Goose Creek Historic District. Inspired by the historic stone bank barns that dot the western Loudoun landscape, Brian and Carol Young’s Trinity Church Road residence was designed to appear as a barn converted to a residence. Using the topography of the lot, local fieldstone and replicating key architectural elements from historic bank barns, such as sliding barn doors over a glass entrance, the Young’s have created a modern residence that blends seamlessly into the historic, agricultural landscape of Goose Creek.
 18671 Trinity Church (click for larger image)

Category: Restoration/Rehabilitation
Project: New Purcellville Town Hall
Property: 221 S. Nursery Avenue, Purcellville Historic District
Owner: Town of Purcellville

Project Description: The Purcellville Town Hall located adjacent to Fireman’s Field has been recognized in the Rehabilitation Category as well as adaptive reuse. The Classical Revival building with its pedimented portico supported by Tuscan columns was constructed in 1926 for the Purcellville Baptist Church and served as a house of worship for most of its history. Additions were made to the structure in the 1930s and 1958.

In 2010, the building was acquired by the Town of Purcellville and rehabilitated for use as the new Town Hall. The adaptive reuse project include landscaping improvements, provision of handicap accessible accommodations including an elevator, and the repurposing and modernization of areas for office and public gathering space. The rehabilitation preserved some of the character defining features of the building. The former church sanctuary was renovated to created the Town Council Chambers and the reminder of the building was renovated to created meeting and office spaces.
Purcellville Town Hall (click for larger image) 

Category: Restoration/Rehabilitation
Project: Taylorstown Barn Restoration
Property: 41207 Annas Lane, Taylorstown Historic District
Owner: Tedd & Dana Durden

Project Description: In 2009, property owners Tedd and Dana Durden sought to restore a late 19th/early 20th century bank barn on their property in Historic Taylorstown. The barn, seen here before the restoration, was badly deteriorated. The Durdens began the arduous process of disassembling the historic structure so that the majority of the historic materials could be reused in the restoration process.

The existing stone foundation was retained, a new roof was installed and new windows and doors were installed in original locations. The Durdens ultimately hope to use the barn as the Taylorstown Tavern which will serve the vineyard they have planted on the adjoining property and will serve as a respite for residents and visitors alike.
 Taylorstown Barn (click for larger image)Taylorstown Barn (click for larger image)

Category: Restoration/Rehabilitation
Property: 40154 Main Street, Waterford Historic District
Owner: Glenn Jesse & Ron Benschoter

Project Description: Built in 1790s by Joseph Janney, our next award winner is located on Main Street in the Waterford Historic District. Property owners Glenn Jesse and Ron Benschoter have worked to restore their property based on historic photos. Their efforts have included replacing the standing seam metal roof with hand cut cedar shakes and they are currently repairing the historic wood clapboard siding.

In 2011, they received a certificate of appropriateness to redesign their porch in keeping with documented photographs. Existing railings were replaced with the proper proportion rails that were attached with ¾ inch oak dowels. The chamfered post details were retained, rotting portions of the porch were repaired or replaced, the lattice door under the stairs was replaced with hand built lattice, and the existing mahogany floor boards were stripped and reused.

These seemingly minor changes have helped to return this iconic property to its historic roots and continue to help improve the streetscape along this prominent road in Waterford.
 link to larger photo

Category: Community Blue Ribbon
Property: 39021 Piggott Bottom Road
Owner: Peter & Diana Burnett

Project Description: The foundation of the barn in which the Burnetts have lived for more than three decades has supported three earlier versions since the house on the other side of the road was built circa 1810. The first rendition is believed to have burned in the Civil War. Fire destroyed that re-build in 1914 and its successor 18 years later in 1932.

In early 2009, the barn that we had converted to a residence burned to a total loss. The damage justified bulldozing the remains, but the Burnetts instead chose to fully restore and preserve a building that had been home for more than 30 years. The restoration included sandblasting the charred frame, building railings with autologous harvesting and re-sawing of burned timbers, and locating windows and other openings to reflect the historic pattern of Pennsylvania bank barns. Green technologies, including geothermal heating and cooling, were employed for environmental sensitivity and cost savings. Board and batten siding, the stone foundation, and the standing seam metal roof were all replaced. The barn now stands proudly again with its great view of the Blue Ridge as it and its predecessors have for nearly two centuries.
39021 Piggot Bottom (click for larger image) Copyright Mary Parker Photography (click for larger image)

Category: Community Blue Ribbon
Property: Aldie Mill Complex, Aldie Historic District
Owner: Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority (NVRPA)
 
Project Description: The Aldie Mill complex represents one of the finest surviving examples of an early 19th century manufacturing site in Loudoun County – one that thrived for over 160 years before closing its doors. The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority (NVRPA), recently undertook a project to stabilize the 1816 Country Mill which was badly deteriorated. The stabilization consisted of grading around the foundation to mitigate water damage, restoring window louvers and jambs, replacing damaged doors with replicas and period appropriate hardware, replacing the roof, and installing temporary bracing inside the structure near an archeological dig site.

In addition to preserving the County Mill, the park authority also rehabilitated the twin waterwheels on the merchant mill. The Aldie Mill is the only surviving mill in Virginia with dual wheels. The mill currently uses the wheels to grind corn for historic interpretation. After consultation with millwright and engineer Derek Ogden, NVRPA undertook work that included new wheel buckets, sole plates, flume conduits, and header tanks. The wheels are now fully operational.

Aldie Mill (click for larger image)Aldie Mill (click for larger image)Aldie Mill (click for larger image)







Loudoun On
Site Tools