Go To Search
Click to Home
Site Tools
Operating a Home-Based Business
If you are interested in operating a home-based business in your new home, you will need to consider several factors. 

  • If your subdivision is governed by a Homeowners Association (HOA) you must comply with your subdivision's restrictive covenants, and, if required, get approval from the developer and/or homeowners association.

  • If you are located within any one of Loudoun's seven incorporated towns, contact them for your licenses and permits. If you're located elsewhere within the county, you will need to apply for a Home Occupation Permit from the Department of Building and Development.

  • You may review the county’s guidelines for operating a home-based business which are contained in Section 5-400 of the Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance.  

Home-Based Child Care
The Loudoun County Department of Family Services offers a workshop, "Beyond Orientation," for those considering opening a child care business in their home.  

Zoning Information for Child Care Providers
Child care providers must comply with the appropriate Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance.  More information is online.
The Board of Supervisors recently approved changes to the Zoning Ordinance in relation to home child care. Details are online:

Loudoun On
Site Tools