I Found a Pet
If you have found a pet, it is important to act quickly to get the pet back to his/her owner. Please see below for some tips to help the pet find his/her way back home.
- File a report with Loudoun County Animal Services by calling 703-777-0406. It is a good idea to take a photo of the pet to include with the report.
- Talk to your neighbors
- Post signs in your neighborhood and within a radius of two miles. Include well-traveled areas and grocery stores, libraries and veterinarian offices. It is important to have a good “found pet” poster to aid you in your search.
- To help you get started, we have created a sample poster.
- To find out what breed of cat you found, check out PetFinder’s website.
- To find out what breed of dog you have, check out Animal Planet’s website.
- Take the pet to a veterinarian’s office or to your local shelter to have the pet scanned for a microchip.