Under Chapter 1084
, solid waste disposal companies are divided into two groups: "Major" and "Minor."
- Major Collectors
- Operate four (4) or more collection vehicles and/or collect 2,000 tons of municipal solid waste per year.
- Required to provide recycling services for their residential and non-residential customers.
- Must collect the following source-separated materials from their residential customers:
- Cardboard and paperboard
- Container glass
- Metal and aluminum cans
- Newspapers and magazines
- Plastic beverage and detergent containers
- Yard waste
- Minor Collectors
- Operate 3 or fewer trucks
- Not required to provide recycling services for their residential and non-residential customers
Both major and minor permitted collectors are required under Chapter 1084
to display their business name and operable telephone number on both sides of the vehicle.
Solid Waste Collection & Transportation Permits
Businesses providing solid waste collection services, including recycling services, in Loudoun County are required to obtain a Solid Waste Collection and Transportation Permit (permit) from the Department of Planning and Zoning
annually in accordance with Loudoun County Ordinance Chapter 1084.