The litter control ordinance
- All litter to be disposed in either private or public receptacles
- Puts the responsibility on property owners to maintain their premises in a litter-free manner
Makes littering and litter illegal
- Imposes fines ranging from $250 to $2,500 for those caught dumping trash on public or private property.
- Requires all construction sites to have receptacles for both construction waste and workers' litter
- Anyone transporting trash in the county in an open or uncovered vehicle is required to cover the vehicle's load with a tarp or other suitable cover.
- Requires business owners and operators to keep adjacent public areas such as sidewalks and alleys free of litter
- Requires litter receptacles at locations frequented by the public
- Allows for removal of litter by the county at the owner's expense in instances where the property owner is unwilling or unable to remove accumulations of litter upon notice to do so
- Report littering incidents to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office at 703-777-1021.
- Report complaints about roadside litter or trash to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) at 703-383-VDOT (8368).