Loudoun County Animal Services (LCAS) Barn Cat Program
The LCAS Barn Cat Program
Did You Know That You Can Adopt a Wonderful Feline for Your Barn, Shop or Property at LCAS?
We see all kinds of cats at LCAS including formerly outdoor, indoor/outdoor, semi-social or semi-feral cats that are not a good fit for adoption into family homes. However, these cats would be very happy living out their days in a barn, on a farm, at a business, and in other safe locations. Our Barn Cat Program is designed to connect these rough and tumble and slightly sassy cats with families who have this kind of set up. These cats are spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and adopted to families who appreciate ‘working cats’ for critter patrol and can provide a safe, appropriate environment such as a barn, stable, garage, or business.
Benefits of a Barn Cat
Adopting a Barn Cat is a winning situation for everyone. Barn Cats benefit their caretakers as much as their Barn Cat benefits from them! By welcoming a barn cat onto your property, you are supporting the safest way to control the rodent population in your barn or business. There are no poisons for children and pets to get into and no need to set nasty rodent traps! Barn Cats will keep rodents away AND you’ll have the satisfaction of giving them a much needed home.
Each Barn Cat’s adoption is FREE and includes:
What Does My Barn Cat Need from Me?
- A warm, secure, dry building or space for shelter from the elements and predators
The space and ability to keep your new barn cat confined to a sheltered, small, enclosed area, stall or large dog crate (with clean litter box, food and water) for up to three weeks to acclimate to their new environment before release
Daily fresh food and water
Monitoring and providing for the safety and well-being of the cats
Vaccinations every three years (by trapping, if necessary) and provide licensed veterinary care in the event of injury or illness
What is the Adoption Fee?
FREE! There is no adoption fee for the adoption of barn cats. Welcoming a new barn cat into your life is payment enough at LCAS.
What’s the Process? Sign me up!
LCAS keeps a list of community members wishing to adopt a barn cat. When LCAS receives a cat that may be a good fit, a staff member will call to let you know that a possible adoption match has been made!
Email us or call 703-777-0406 to place your name on the Barn Cat Wish List! You can also stop by the Animal Shelter to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service staff!
1. A complete adoption application
2. A home visit may be required to verify the outdoor living conditions are appropriate under the law, including water, food, shelter, etc.
3. A consultation with a staff member regarding the introduction procedure of the cat to the new environment.
4. Rabies vaccinations for any other pet in the home, including barn, outdoor, indoor/outdoor cats at the residence.
5. Your adopted barn cat will be spayed/neutered, distemper and rabies vaccinated, microchipped and will also receive a mandatory ear tip.
6. The cat must have access to adequate shelter, be provided with fresh food and water daily and receive regular veterinary care.