Guide to Permits for Solar Photovoltaic System in Loudoun County
Interested in using solar energy at your home or business?
Here is an overview of the how to obtain the proper permits for installing either a residential or commercial solar photovoltaic (PV) system in Loudoun County.
1. Submit a completed and signed Building/Zoning Permit Application
at the permit counter of the Loudoun County Department of Building and Development on the second floor of the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E. in Leesburg. With the application, provide three sets of plans for plan review that include:
- Construction Drawings: Three sets of wet-sealed plans showing PV array configuration, wiring system, overcurrent protection, inverter, disconnects, required signs, alternating current (AC) connection to building, and attachment detail for roof mounted or footing details for ground mounted.
- Spec Sheets & Installation Manuals: Include specification sheets and installation manuals for all manufactured components including, but not limited to PV modules, inverters, combiner box, disconnects, and mounting system.
2. Submit completed and signed Electrical Permit Application.
- Note the number of photovoltaic systems
- Note the number of photovoltaic kilowatts
3. Plat for Zoning Permit Review: Submit a plat (house location) that depicts the ground mounted arrays in relationship to the property boundaries.
- Building Permit: $135 (includes plan review).
- Zoning Permit: $165 (ground mounted only).
- Electrical Permit: $70
Who May Apply for Permits
- Building Permit: The fee is based on construction costs and plan review and varies from project to project.
- Zoning Permit: $210 (includes plan review).
- Electrical: $125 (includes plan review).
How to Get Your System Inspected
Loudoun County conducts inspections between 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Contacting Your Electrical Utility
- Homeowners may call 703-777-0220, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection for the next day. They may also schedule inspections online until 11:59 p.m. at www.loudoun.gov/wairs for next day inspections.
- Contractors may schedule inspections online until 11:59 p.m. at www.loudoun.gov/wairs for next day inspections.
Loudoun County's two electrical utilities have information online about solar power as it relates to their renewable energy programs:
For questions or more information about the permitting process for solar photovoltaic systems, contact the Permitting Division of the Department of Building and Development at 703-777-0220 or by email