The purpose of the Loudoun County Disability Services Board (DSB) is to:
- Advise the elective bodies of Loudoun County regarding issues of
importance to persons with disabilities, including the Americans With
- Advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Assess local service needs and existing services. Provide input
to state and local agencies on service needs and priorities of persons
with physical / sensory disabilities.
- Develop and support linkages between services to improve the
coordination and the array of services for persons with disabilities.
- Inform and educate about issues, barriers, and options, to
ensure that persons with physical and sensory disabilities can
participate to the fullest extent possible.
- Monitor compliance with federal, state, and local laws regarding disabilities.
- Provide information and resource referral to local government,
businesses and individuals regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Provide input to the Board of Supervisors and local agencies on service needs and priorities of persons with physical and sensory disabilities
- Recognize and celebrate local businesses and individuals making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities
- Serve as a catalyst for the development of public and private funding for needed services.
In 1991, the "Commission on the Coordination of Delivery of Services to
Facilitate the Self-Sufficiency and Support of persons with Physical and
Sensory Disabilities," also known as the Beyer Commission, found that
this population is both unserved and under served.
In 1991, the House Bill 15 was passed by the Virginia Assembly, creating
a state level Disability Services Council and establishing local level
Disability Services Boards. Representation by persons with disabilities
or their family members is required. The bill proposed a ten-year plan
to develop a system of programs and services for persons with physical /
The Loudoun County Disability Services Board was established on November
1, 1992. It is comprised of representatives appointed by the elected
officials of Loudoun County.