Visitors are welcome to view animals for adoption anytime LCAS is open for adoption and viewing. For groups interested in learning more about the work we do at LCAS and shelter pets, it is possible to schedule a guided tour of the shelter with an educational component. In addition to viewing the shelter animals, groups who opt for a guided tour will learn about the needs of the different kinds of animals living at the shelter, an introduction to understanding animal body language, and the work of LCAS staff and volunteers. There is a $10 fee per child for guided shelter tours and tours are tailored to the age of the attendees.
*Please note- if you are interested in a weekend tour for your group, we are currently booking into July 2016.
How to Book a Guided Shelter Tour
- There is a $10 fee per child for guided shelter tours. There is no fee for parents or chaperons. The tour fee is due at the time of the tour.
- Guided shelter tours must be scheduled at least 1 month in advance. While we do our best to accommodate requests, please note that we receive a large volume of tour requests and therefore cannot guarantee all can be accommodated.
- In order to ensure a quality educational experience for each attendee, groups must be no larger than 15 people, and we request a minimum of five attendees.
- LCAS is closed on Mondays, but tours may be scheduled Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays beginning between 11:30 am and 4 pm. Tours may also be scheduled on Fridays beginning between 11:30 am-5:30 pm. Weekend tours are dependent upon staff availability and may be scheduled beginning between 11:30 am-3:30 pm. Please note that the guided shelter tour is approximately one hour in duration.
- Please contact the Volunteer and Humane Education Coordinator by email or at 703-771-5922 with possible dates and times for your tour and the anticipated age and number of attendees.
At this time we do not have service project opportunities for groups here at LCAS. However, we have a list of projects that can be done at home and then brought to the shelter either during your guided tour or any time we are open for adoptions and viewing.