Humane Education Program
Loudoun County Animal Services staff members give community presentations to thousands of students and residents in Loudoun each year! Staff members deliver age appropriate presentations on topics ranging from animal behavior, care of foster animals, local wildlife, and general information about LCAS operations.
School Programs (No Fee)
School programs are offered to any Loudoun County school and led by the Humane Education Coordinator or an Animal Control Officer. Typically these programs are an hour in length but can be adjusted. School programs are based around the topic of who LCAS is and what we do but educational topics can be adjusted to meet learning and curriculum needs.
How to Book a Humane Education Presentation:
- There is no fee for group presentations given at sites throughout the county.
- Due to the high demand for presentations, groups must be expecting at least 25 attendees per presentation.
- Presentations must be scheduled at least 1 month in advance. While we do our best to accommodate requests, please note that we receive a large volume of presentation requests and therefore cannot guarantee all can be accommodated.
- Please contact the Volunteer and Humane Education Coordinator by email or at 703-771-5922 with possible dates and times for your presentation, anticipated age and number of attendees, and topic of interest.
($10/child, minimum 10 children)
Shelter tours are an hour long program. They include a discussion and a Q&A session in the classroom followed by a full tour of the shelter with visits to available animals.
Monthly Workshops to Learn About LCAS and Helping Animals!
Monthly workshops and educational programs are offered at the LCAS animal shelter. Registration for these events is required and are announced in advance on the LCAS Facebook page. These workshops are for children between the ages of 10-15. If you are interested in signing up, please read through the requirements with a parent or guardian:
- Children must be at least 10 years old to participate and some workshops have older age requirements depending on the content.
- Children 10-15 years old must attend with a parent or guardian. Each parent or guardian may bring a total of no more than 3 children.
- Liability waivers must be brought with participants or completed at the time of the workshop.
- Children 16 and older may attend by themselves but must bring the liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian with them on the day of the workshop.
Registration is required for all participants so we can appropriately prepare workshop materials.
For More Information
For additional Volunteer Program information, please call 703-771-5922 or email the LCAS Volunteer and Humane Education Coordinator.