Youth Volunteer Opportunities
Thank you for wanting to help the shelter pets at Loudoun County Animal Services (LCAS)! We can accept any kind of pet or livestock animal and there are lots of ways to help all of the different species we care for. Our website automatically updates every hour, on the hour so you can always see what animals we have available for adoption.
If you need to get service hours quickly for school or just want to get started right away, check out our list of at home service projects. These projects can be done at home and then dropped off to the shelter any time we’re open for adoptions and viewing. We also have extra projects on our Pinterest
page that can be done at home and brought to the shelter!
Volunteer Apprentice Program
The apprentice program is for youth ages 10-15 years and is designed for the youth to volunteer alongside their parent or guardian. Each parent or guardian may supervise one apprentice at a time. Each parent or guardian must be 21 years or older. To get started, apprentices and their parent or guardian will need to attend a Volunteer Apprentice Orientation. These occur two times per year and are announced on the LCAS Facebook page
Monthly Workshops to Learn About LCAS and Helping Animals!
If you want to learn even more about what we do at LCAS and how to help animals, sign up for one of our workshops
! We host monthly workshops for children between the ages of 10-15. If you are interested in signing up, read through the requirements with a parent or guardian:
- Children must be at least 10 years old to participate and some workshops have older age requirements depending on the content.
- Children 10-15 years old must attend with a parent or guardian. Each parent or guardian may bring a total of no more than 3 children.
- Liability waivers must be brought with participants or completed at the time of the workshop.
- Children 16 and older may attend by themselves but must bring the liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian with them on the day of the workshop.
- Registration is required for all participants so we can appropriately prepare workshop materials.
For more information on the volunteer program or workshops, please call 703-771-5922 or email the LCAS Volunteer and Humane Education Coordinator.