Rebuild and Disaster-Proof Your House
You can prevent future damage to your home and property while making repairs. This is called mitigation. If your house was flooded, consider the following options to avoid loss in the future:
- Build floodwalls or berms to protect your home against the floodwaters.
- Elevate your home above flood level.
- Modify the building so floodwaters cause minimal damage.
- Relocate your home and family to a safe location outside of a flood hazard area.
- Seal the building to keep floodwaters out.
Local building codes usually require a building permit before you start to repair or alter your home. Call your local building official or the building code supervisor in the State Fire Marshal's Office.
Final Step to Recovery
Step Eight: Prepare for Next Time