Go To Search
Click to Home
Site Tools
Wedding Officiant
*Please note that Court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. If you need assistance or advice, please see our Legal Aid and Links page here.

Civil Celebrant Appointment (Marriage Officiants)
In order to be a One-Time Ceremony Civil Celebrant authorized to perform a wedding in Virginia, the individual must reside in Loudoun County. If you are a resident of another county who wishes to perform/officiate a ceremony in Loudoun County, you will need to apply in the county in which you reside.  A petition for a One-Time Civil Celebrant must be filed and a $84 filing fee paid to the Circuit Court. The completed petition will be forwarded to a Circuit Court judge for review and approval. Once the order has been approved, the petitioner must post a $500 bond, either by cash or check, prior to performing the marriage ceremony. Non-Virginia residents who are not clergy cannot legally perform a wedding in Virginia.

Any resident interested in being appointed as a permanent Civil Celebrant needs to submit a letter setting forth their interest in being appointed as a Civil Celebrant. The letter will be provided to and reviewed by the Clerk of Circuit Court. The Clerk will contact the individual to provide information about the process. In the letter, the individual should provide their email address and daytime phone number to be contacted with more information.

Out-of-State Minister Petition
An Out-of-State Minister petition and $84 filing fee must be submitted to the Circuit Court. The petitioner must also submit their certificate of ordination and proof of his or her position as a minister within the church or religious organization on official church letterhead. We encourage you to petition in the county in which the marriage is taking place. The Loudoun County Circuit Court Judges do not recognize any online ordinations, for example The Universal Life Church, per the Attorney General opinion examined in Cramer v Commonwealth.


Contact UsKimberly Walker
Civil Division Manager

Lauren Permison
Civil Division Supervisor

Quick Links

•  Civil Division FAQs
Concealed Handgun Permits
•  Courts Technology
•  Posted Orders and Notices
•  Visitor Comment Card

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Physical Address:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Attn: Civil Division
18 East Market St.
Leesburg, VA 20176
Mailing Address:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Attn: Civil Division
P.O. Box 550
Leesburg, VA 20178

Loudoun On
Site Tools