Fines, Court Costs and Restitution
Once an individual is convicted of a felony or misdemeanor in the Circuit Court, fines and/or Court costs will be assessed against the defendant. All court costs are assessed in accordance with the Code of Virginia. Fines, costs, and restitution are due within 30-days of sentencing unless otherwise specified in a Court Order. A judgment will be automatically entered on the date of sentencing unless fines and costs are paid in full that day.
An individual who does not promptly pay fines, court costs or restitution may be subject to the following:
- Unpaid balances are reported to the Department of Taxation for Set-off Debt Collection; after proper notice any tax refund or lottery proceeds due the defendant will be sent to the Clerk's Office to pay off the debt - after 90 days
- Accrued interest on the balance due - after 40 days
- Unpaid balances are reported to Loudoun County Treasurer’s office – Collection Division 703-737-8622 - after 90 days
- Notification is sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles of any unpaid fines and/or court costs for suspension of the defendant’s operator’s license - after 30 days
Deferred Payment Agreement
A defendant can petition the Circuit Court Clerk’s office to be placed on a payment agreement
The defendant shall be required to complete the payment agreement and submit to the Criminal Division
Please note that some agreements may not be able to be completed on the day you file your petition. The Clerk’s office may need to research older or multiple cases before determining total amounts owed and terms. This will require you to return to the Clerk’s office to execute the agreement.
There are three (3) options for a payment agreement:
Deferred Payment Agreement: You agree to pay the full amount of the fines, costs and/or restitution by the end of the stated terms with no monthly amount required.
Installment Agreement: You agree to make monthly payments in the agreed upon amount until fines, costs and/or restitution are paid in full. The first payment under the agreement shall be due the month immediately following the month in which the application is made.
Community Service Agreement: Defendant earns credits for performance of community service work to be applied towards fines and costs only. Hours are credited at the Federal minimum wage rate, currently $7.25 per hour. Community Service is supervised by the Department of Community Corrections and District 25 Probation and Parole. An enrollment letter from one of these agencies is required within 30 days of the date of the payment contract or the contract will be null and void. This option cannot be used to pay off restitution, however, it can be selected along with another option above.
NOTE: The Clerk’s Office has no authority to change a Judge’s ruling. If you were Court-Ordered to pay a specific monthly payment amount and can no longer pay that monthly amount, you will need to file a Praecipe and Motion to place the matter on the docket to be heard by a Judge.
Subsequent Payment Agreement
A defendant can petition the Circuit Court Clerk’s office to be placed on a subsequent payment agreement in the event of default or to request a modification in terms. See below for the required deposit to initiate the agreement.
- Balance due up to $499.99 = 10% of amount due
- Balance of $500.00 to $1,000.00 = $50.00
- Balance more than $1,000.00 = 5% of amount due
Methods of Payment
- Online Payments
- Over-the-phone Payment (703-771-5610)
- Cash - DO NOT SEND CASH VIA USPS
- Personal checks, money orders, cashier checks and certified checks made payable to: Clerk of Circuit Court NO STARTER CHECKS ACCEPTED.
- Discover, Visa, and Master Card – Incurs a 4% or $2.00 processing fee, whichever is greater pursuant to VA Code §17.1-275(A)(27) .
- In person
- Include your case number on payment to ensure proper credit
- If paying by mail, a self–addressed stamped envelope is required if a receipt is requested.
- If your assessed costs include restitution, payments received will be applied to restitution first until satisfied then the remaining payments received will be applied to the court costs.
- Pursuant to VA Code §19.2-353.3 payments associated with dishonored checks and credit cards accounts will be assessed an additional fee of 10% with a minimum of $50.00.
Penalties for Failure to Comply With a Deferred Payment Agreement
- The Court may issue a Capias for your arrest.
- Your driver’s license or privilege to drive a motor vehicle will be automatically suspended effective immediately after the due date. In addition, DMV will revoke your automobile registration certificates and plates and/or refuse to issue new registration or plates until paid in full.
- The unpaid amount shall be forwarded to the Loudoun County Treasurer’s Collections Office.
Criminal Division Manager
• Courts Technology
• Visitor Comment Card
• Online Payments
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Attn: Criminal Division
18 East Market St.
Leesburg, VA 20176
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Attn: Criminal Division
P.O. Box 550
Leesburg, VA 20178