Child Protective Services
Child Protective Services (CPS) receives, and responds to, complaints of child abuse and neglect on a 24-hour basis. Social workers investigate or assess complaints, determine if child abuse or neglect has occurred, and provide services to assure that children are protected. To report abuse or for more information, please contact Child Protective Services during business hours at 703-771-KIDS (5437).
Report child abuse and neglect in Loudoun County
The Role of Child Protective Services
- If the situation is an emergency and a child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.
- To report child abuse / neglect during business hours call 703-771-KIDS (5437), Monday through Friday, 8:30 am. - 5:00 pm.
- After hours and on the weekend, call the Virginia State Child Protective Services (CPS) Hotline, 800-552-7096, or call the Sheriff's Office, 703-777-0445, and ask to have the on-call CPS worker paged.
The safety of the children is the paramount responsibility of the Child Protective Services social worker, who intervenes in whatever way is necessary to ensure the child's safety and to prevent further harm from abuse or neglect. Protecting the child, validating the sexual abuse, and seeing to the safety of other possible victims, such as siblings or friends, are stressful issues that the family must address. The social worker helps plan and provide services to:
More Information on Children's Safety
- Enhance every family's ability to provide proper care and nurturance for their children within their own home, community, and culture.
- Prevent separation of the child from the family whenever possible.
- Preserve and rehabilitate the family.
- Provide a stable, permanent alternative placement as quickly as possible for every child who cannot return home.
- Reunify children with families as quickly as possible.