Road Maintenance Information
Responsibility for road maintenance varies by road. Most roads are maintained either by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), by one of the county's incorporated towns, or by a private entity, such as a homeowners association (HOA). Maintenance responsibilities include the pavement and snow removal.
How to Use the Road Maintenance Map
The Loudoun County Road Maintenance Map is an interactive online tool to help you determine the entity that is responsible for maintaining each road in Loudoun County. To use the map, enter a Loudoun County street address in the search box. The color-coded map legend indicates road maintenance responsibility. Click on any road for pop-up information about the road and road maintenance. Additional functions are available in the toolbar on the interactive map.
NOTE: As newly constructed roads are developed, maintenance responsibility may change from one entity to another, such as from a developer to a homeowners association. Loudoun County’s map is updated on a monthly basis.
Road Maintenance Contact Information
Virginia Department of Transportation
- Many roads in residential areas are maintained by homeowners associations (HOAs). Prior to a snow event, Loudoun County encourages residents to contact their HOAs to learn more about snow removal plans that impact your street. A partial list of HOAs with websites may be found here.
- For detailed road maintenance responsibility information within Loudoun’s incorporated towns, please contact the appropriate town. Contact information and links to the towns’ websites may be found here.
Loudoun County Government
Please note that Loudoun County government's regular business hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- For questions about snow removal from streets and roads maintained by the Loudoun County Government and for general questions about the information in the Road Maintenance Map, contact the Division of Public Affairs and Communications at 703-777-0113 or by email.
- For non-snow removal issues on streets and roads within Loudoun County-operated parks, contact the Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services at 703-777-0343 or by email.
- For non-snow removal issues about any other Loudoun County Government-maintained streets or roads, contact the Department of General Services at 703-771-5552 or by email.
Loudoun County Public Schools
- Some roads in residential areas are maintained by developers of the subdivisions in which the roads are located. This includes the time period before the roads are either accepted into the VDOT system or turned over to an HOA for maintenance. Please report any concern about a maintenance issue with a developer-maintained road to the Loudoun County Public Affairs and Communications Division by email, and be sure to provide a specific description of the road in question, including the closest physical address, if possible.