Departments and Agencies
The Department of Animal Services include the Animal Shelter, pet adoption, licensing, and Animal Control.
Board of Supervisors
Loudoun County is governed by a nine-member Board of Supervisors.
Building and Development
The Department of Building and Development conducts oversight of all phases of construction within Loudoun County, which includes technical review and oversight of land development applications, building code enforcement, inspections and issuing permits.
Clerk of the Circuit Court
The Clerk of the Circuit Court facilitates the orderly conduct of government, judicial, commercial and quasi-legal affairs, which includes providing judicial support in court proceedings, adjudicating probates of wills and estates and issuing marriage licenses.
Commissioner of the Revenue
The Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue administers tax programs, which include real estate assessments
, revaluation of existing properties, vehicle assessments and assessing business license and business property taxes.
The Commonwealth’s Attorney aids in investigations and prosecutes felony, misdemeanor, traffic, juvenile and statutorily specified civil matters. The office includes Victim and Witness Assistance program.
The Department of Community Corrections provides pretrial and probation community supervision, investigations and intervention services for offenders referred by the Loudoun judiciary.
The Office of the County Administrator directs and supervises the day-to-day operations of all county departments and agencies, which are under the direct control of the Board of Supervisors.
- Public Affairs and Communications: The Public Affairs and Communications Division manages internal and external communication and constituent services, which includes serving members of the media.
- Office of Emergency Management Facilitates the county’s emergency management activities and promotes emergency preparedness in the community.
The Office of the County Attorney serves as legal counsel to the Board of Supervisors and county departments, and is responsible for drafting all county ordinances.
Courts and Judicial Services
- Circuit Court: Has original and general jurisdiction of most civil and criminal cases in which an appeal may be made to the Virginia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
- General District Court: Court cases include criminal, civil, traffic and mental health hearings. Also includes arrests, community relations and community service programs.
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court: Includes juvenile complaints, custody, support, visitation, protective orders, and juvenile probationary services.
- Juvenile Court Service Unit: Assists the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice with protecting the public by preparing court involved youth to be successful citizens.
- Magistrate's Office: The principal function of the magistrate is to provide an independent, unbiased review of complaints brought to the office by police officers, sheriffs, deputies, and citizens.
***The courts and agencies listed above are part of Virginia’s judicial system; they are not Loudoun County Government departments.
The Department of Economic Development works with key partners to attract, grow and retain targeted businesses and to promote entrepreneurism in an effort to diversify and strengthen Loudoun’s economy.
Elections and Voter Registration
The Office of Elections ensures residents of Loudoun County can exercise their right to vote in an efficient and equitable manner. The office is led by the General Registrar and provides voter registration services.
**State or independent agency
The Department of Family Services assists families with child care and adoption, coordinates programs for seniors, investigates cases of abuse and neglect, operates the Workforce Resource Center and Youth Shelter, provides foster care, nutrition and financial assistance to low-income families, and helps families achieve safe and affordable housing.
Finance and Procurement
The Department of Finance and Procurement provides timely and accurate processing and reporting of financial transactions and is responsible for the acquisition of all goods and services.
Fire and Rescue
The Fire and Rescue Department, in combination with more than a dozen volunteer fire and rescue companies, provides comprehensive fire and emergency medical services. The department also operates the countywide 9-1-1 emergency call center.
- Fire Marshal: Responsibilities include investigating the origin and cause of fire- and explosive-related incidents and releases of hazardous materials, code enforcement and a fire prevention and life safety inspection program.
The Department of General Services provides emergency and essential public works support, solid waste management, which includes operation of the Loudoun County Landfill, storm water management, environmental compliance, county government facility maintenance and fleet management.
- Waste Management: Learn about hazardous waste disposal, illegal dumping, curbside collection, recycling and the landfill
- Water and Environmental Programs: These include Stormwater Management, Environmental Policy, Water/Wastewater, and Energy Management
The Health Department provides a broad range of community Health services, including communicable disease surveillance and prevention, direct patient care, such as immunizations, and nutrition services.
**State or independent agency
- Community Health: Provides a variety of services, including family planning, maternity, immunizations, testing for tuberculosis, sexually-transmitted diseases, and HIV. Provides information on illness prevention, wellness, chronic diseases, and many other health-related subjects.
- Environmental Health: Provides rabies surveillance and education; restaurant, hotel and pool inspections and permitting; and well and septic evaluations.
- Vital Records (Virginia Department of Health): Birth and death certificates.
The Department of Human Resources works to attract, develop and retain qualified employees through workforce and recruitment planning efforts. The department administers employee benefits, employee regulatory compliance and safety and risk management programs.
The Department of Information Technology provides information, communications and office automation systems to county government, courts and Loudoun County Public Schools.
The Loudoun County Public Library provides access to innovative technologies and a full range of library resources.
Management and Budget
The Department of Management and Budget conducts economic analysis, assists the County Administrator in developing the county's proposed budget and monitors the county’s operating budget.
Mapping and Geographic Information
The Office of Mapping and Geographic provides core services on the county’s Geographic Information System (GIS) to ensure current and accurate land-related information for the government, residents and businesses. The office also provides maps and data and operates the Loudoun County Store, which sells unique gifts.
Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services
The Department of Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services promotes mental, behavioral and developmental health and wellness by connecting individuals and their families with person-centered, recovery-oriented services and supports in partnership with the Loudoun community.
Parks, Recreation and Community Services
The Department Parks, Recreation and Community Services operates county parks, recreational facilities, and community centers and provides a broad range of services that include youth and adult programs and sports and child day care programs.
Planning and Zoning
- Area Agency on Aging: Includes adult day and respite centers, aging programs and services, home-delivered meals, senior centers, senior trips and volunteer services.
Department of Planning and Zoning services include the evaluation and processing of legislative land development applications and the enforcement of zoning ordinances. The department assists the Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission in the development of policies and plans that guide the use of land in the county.
- Planning Commission: A nine-member advisory body appointed by the Board of Supervisors to provide recommendations on planning and zoning issues.
- Zoning Administration: Information about zoning ordinances and codes and how to report a violation.
The Sheriff's Office is Loudoun County’s law enforcement department. Services include criminal investigations, traffic safety and enforcement, courthouse security and operating the Adult Detention Center.
Transportation and Capital Infrastructure
The Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure develops and implements the county’s transportation plans, which includes providing commuter services, such as bus services, and supporting the Silver Line Metrorail project. The department also manages the design and construction of capital facilities and road projects, completes traffic engineering projects, and develops the county’s Capital Improvement Program.
The Treasure’s Office collects revenue for the county, including real and tangible personal property taxes. Contact the office for information about or to pay personal and real property taxes, parking tickets and vehicle license decals.
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Loudoun County
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Loudoun County develops and provides research-based education programs relating to agriculture, natural resources, human nutrition and community viability. The unit provides education and technical information for agriculture and horticultural production, 4-H Youth Development programs, and the Virginia Cooperative Extension program in Loudoun County.
**State or independent agency