COVID-19 Limited Rent Assistance
Loudoun County government has established a limited rent assistance program for Loudoun County households economically impacted by COVID-19. The terms of the program include:
- Proof of job loss or reduced hours due to COVID-19.
- Residents must be current in their rent payments as of March 31, 2020.
- Direct payments made to landlords or property management companies on behalf of residents who qualify for the program.
- Depending on funding availability, the program provides up to nine months of rent assistance. Applicants can apply for the number of months of assistance that is due based on the rent ledger, and may need to apply for one month of assistance at a time.
- The program will continue as long as funding is available.
Applicants must submit a completed application form as well as eligibility documentation, such as a current lease and paperwork that shows a job loss or reduced income due to COVID-19. This documentation will be verified to determine eligibility. DO NOT submit your application until you have gathered ALL required documentation. Submitting an application does not guarantee financial assistance will be provided.
For quick reference:
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
- Proof of Loudoun County residency
- Current lease or rental agreement
- Rental amount owed (rent ledger / statement)
- Proof of job loss or reduced hours due to COVID-19
- Resources (unemployment benefits, alimony, child support, SS, SSI, public assistance)
- W-9 Form: In order to process a payment, the county must have a W-9 form from your landlord or property management company on file.
- A list of property management companies with W-9 forms already on file with Loudoun County is here (PDF).
- If you have a private landlord or your property management company is not on the list above, a W-9 must be submitted. Your landlord will need to sign, date and complete the form. You can submit the completed W-9 form along with your other application materials, or your landlord can submit the W-9 separately. If via email, submit to [email protected] with the subject line "COVID-19 Limited Rent Assistance, [your last name and first initial]"
Step 2: Complete Your Application Form
Important note about the online application: At the top of the application, you will be asked "What is your preferred language?” Please answer this question before you answer any other questions on the form; your selection will show only questions in the selected language on the form.
For questions about the program, help completing the application, or to request a paper application, please call Loudoun County Health and Human Services Information and Referral at 703-777-0420.
- You will be contacted by your preferred method of contact if your application is missing documentation. Applications submitted without complete documentation cannot be processed. You will need to submit the missing documentation within 10 business days.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive a decision by your preferred method of contact notifying you that your application is either approved or denied. The eligibility decision cannot be appealed.
Additional Requests for Assistance
If you are submitting an additional request for funding, e.g., second, third, fourth, etc.:
- Complete the application form, indicating which number request, e.g., second, third, fourth, etc. This will hide any questions on the form that are not needed for an additional request.
- Provide the following documents:
- Updated rent ledger or statement from landlord/property manager which shows current balance due for the month you are requesting assistance,
- Most recent (last 30 days) pay stubs and/or bank statements, AND
- Most recent (last 30 days) benefit letters (if applicable).
Change in Circumstances
If you were previously denied because you did not meet the income and resources criteria, but have since had a reduction in income and/or resources, you may reapply. The process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.
For More Information
If you have additional questions, contact Loudoun County Health and Human Services Information and Referral at 703-777-0420, Monday-Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
|Verification Needed||Acceptable Documents|
|Proof of Loudoun County residency||• Photo ID
• Driver’s license
• A bill with the applicant’s name and current address issued within the last two months; utility (water, gas, electric), medical, dental or insurance (renter, automobile, life) bills are acceptable.
• Official correspondence from a federal, state, or local government agency displaying the applicant’s name and current address (DMV issued documents without postmarked envelopes are not acceptable).
• U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form or postmarked U.S. mail with forwarding address label displaying the applicant’s name and current address.
• Postmarked mail displaying the applicant’s name and current address.
• Cancelled check not more than two months old displaying the applicant’s name and current address (voided checks are not acceptable).
|Lease or rental agreement||
• Your lease needs to be signed and dated by you and your property manager/ landlord. Please include ALL pages of your lease.
• Your lease needs to include the timeframe for the month of your rental request.
• If you have a renewal addendum to your lease, please include it.
• If you are on a month-to-month lease, you will need to submit the signed addendum.
• If you do not have a formal lease, provide a written statement from you of the rental agreement, AND a letter from your landlord of your rental agreement.
|Rent ledger / Statement||• Statement from landlord or property owner showing account history since March 2020, AND the current balance owed.
|Proof of income loss or reduced hours due to COVID-19||• Notice from your employer on company letterhead that states you have been “laid off” or furloughed, or had a reduction in work hours due to COVID-19.
• If you are unable to obtain this letter, write, sign and date a statement indicating whether you were furloughed or laid off due to COVID-19 and why you are unable to provide this job loss document.
• If you were fired or were unemployed prior to COVID-19, you do not meet the criteria for this program.
Documentation of your income prior to and after your loss or reduction. Please provide the required documentation based on your situation.
• Pay stub for one pay period prior to being furloughed or laid off AND one pay stub after being furloughed or laid off.
• If you are not paid by check or electronic deposit into a banking account, please provide a written statement indicating how much you earned one month prior to being furloughed, laid off or working a reduced number of hours, and how much you earned since being furloughed, laid off or working a reduced number of hours. This written statement needs to be signed and dated by you.
• If you are self-employed, please provide your most recently submitted federal tax return (all pages) and self-employment records for one month prior to being impacted by COVID-19 and one month after being impacted by COVID-19.
|Unemployment, Social Security, or Public Assistance||• Copy of benefit letter(s).
|Banking Accounts: Checking, Savings||
• Copy of bank statements (all pages) showing current balance of all checking and savings accounts.• If you do not have a bank account, please provide a written statement indicating that you do not have a bank account and indicate the method you use to pay your bills. This written statement needs to be signed and dated by you.
|W-9 Form (from your landlord or property manager)||• We must receive a signed and dated W-9 completed by your landlord or property manager.
• Please check the list of property management companies with W-9 forms already on file with Loudoun County on the loudoun.gov/LRA webpage to see if your property management company/ landlord is listed. If not, the form can be downloaded from the same webpage and then submitted via email to [email protected]
How do I scan documents with my cell phone or mobile device?
- Scan documents on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using the Notes app
- Scan documents on your Android device using Google Drive app
- You may also take photos of each page of the documents with your device and upload each page where requested on the electronic form. Note: When using the online application, the maximum attachment size is 250 MB, therefore, any photos uploaded should be low resolution. You may upload multiple files using the Upload button.
Is this rental assistance taxable for applicants?
No. Loudoun County’s payment is to the landlord so there is no tax liability for the tenant.
What will happen if there are more requests than available funds?
The Limited Rental Assistance Program is available to assist eligible Loudoun County residents who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 either due to loss of job, being furloughed, or reduced wages. Rental assistance is being provided one month at a time, and our goal is to process the initial requests of eligible applicants first, based on funding availability. If we have remaining funds, our goal will be to process requests to pay an additional month of rent, for eligible applicants up to funding availability. You must re-apply to request payment beyond your initial request; payment will be made if you are determined eligible and funding is available.
What do I submit if I am self-employed and do not have paystubs?
Please submit bank statements, a tax return from 2018 or 2019 (if you filed), and write a statement indicating that you are self-employed, the type of work and how you were impacted by COVID-19.
What if I do not have a lease because I rent a room?
Please submit a letter from your landlord along with a signed written statement indicating that you are renting a room, the monthly rental amount and your landlord’s name. Your landlord will need to complete the W-9.
What if I sublease, and I’m not on the actual lease?
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this program.
- Stay Home Virginia
- Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief Program
- House Bill 1420 (caps late fees on rent)
- House Bill 340 (protects tenants from eviction during emergencies)
- Public Assistance
- Utilities Assistance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Economic Impact Payments
- Loudoun Workforce Resource Center