Northstar Blvd: Route 50 to Tall Cedars Parkway
- This project provides for the planning, design, right of way acquisition (ROW) and construction of a segment of Northstar Boulevard, a minor arterial roadway, from John Mosby Highway (Route 50) to Tall Cedars Parkway.
- The plans include the construction of a new signalized intersection on Route 50 located near the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) Arcola maintenance area headquarters.
- The proposed project involves the construction of approximately 3,500 feet of four lane median divided minor arterial roadway, with turn lanes at the following intersecting roads: Route 50, Marrwood Drive, and Tall Cedars Parkway. The project also includes 10-foot-wide shared use paths on both sides of the road.
- Traffic signals with pedestrian controls will be installed at the Route 50 and Tall Cedars Parkway intersections as part of this project.
- When completed, this segment of Northstar Boulevard will provide an alternative north/south connection to Route 50, improving capacity and safety on existing roadway networks within the Dulles South area.
- The county is developing a future segment of Northstar Boulevard from Shreveport Drive to Route 50, which will join this segment with the existing roadway in the Brambleton area. View the project page for Northstar Boulevard (Shreveport Dr. to Route 50).
- The $45.8M project budget includes 70% funding from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA).
- Public input on the design was solicited during a Public Information Meeting held on Tuesday December 15, 2015 at Arcola Elementary School in Arcola, Virginia from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Estimated completion of the roadway is currently late 2023/early 2024.
Current Status: September 2022
- Concrete foundations for the bridge have been poured and a box culvert, used to maintain the flow of water underneath the roadway, has been installed. Preparations for additional structural concrete pours at the bridge are underway.
- Work to install stormwater pond #1 and construction modifications in the median at the intersection of Northstar Boulevard and Route 50 have begun.
- Ongoing work includes the installation of stormwater pipe, dry utilities and earthwork throughout the project area.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Northstar Boulevard: Route 50 to Tall Cedars Parkway project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
Related Documents & Video
- June 6, 2022 Northstar Boulevard Phase 2 Drone Photos (PDF)
- January 2022: Aerial Video: Northstar Boulevard Phase 2 Project Area
- 12-1-21 Northstar Blvd. Phase 2 Pardon Our Dust Meeting (PDF)
- Northstar Blvd. Phase 2 Diagram (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.