Route 7/287 Interchange Improvements
- This project funds the planning, design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction of improvements for the Harry Byrd Highway (Route 7) and Berlin Turnpike (Route 287) interchange in the Town of Purcellville.
- Within an estimated distance of 1.2 miles, the project scope includes lengthened and widened ramps, turn lanes, and expanded turn and through lanes along Route 287 between Eastgate Drive and the westbound Route 7 entrance/exit ramps. It also includes expanded pedestrian access to the W&OD Trail and traffic signal modifications.
- Improvements to the interchange were recommended in a 2012 interchange analysis completed by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
- The budget for this project includes local tax funding and VDOT Smart Scale funding.
- The Smart Scale program includes the use of federal funds, which requires following the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
Current Phase: Design
- Learn about project phases and milestones.
- Visit the Capital Projects Active and Planned in Loudoun County interactive map to view projects in your area, including this one.
- Winter 2021 - Winter 2024: Design
- Summer 2024 - Winter 2025: Right of Way Acquisition
- Winter 2025 - Summer 2025: Utilities Relocation
- Fall 2025 - Summer 2026: Procurement of Construction Contractor
- Fall 2026: Award Contract – Construction
- Fall 2026: Notice to Proceed – Construction
- Fall 2026 - Summer 2028: Construction
- Fall 2028: Substantial Completion
Stay Informed About This Project
- View project updates for Route 7-287 Interchange Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Public Design Hearing (in coordination with VDOT) held on April 14, 2022
State Project: 6007-053-177 P101,R201, C501, UPC: 111664, Federal Project: PE - STP-5A01 (959), CN – NHPP-5B01(192)
- Watch the Recording
- Review the Presentation
- View Design Public Hearing questions and responses (PDF)
- Ad - Public Notice (PDF)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Document (PDF)
- Route 7/287 Interchange Modification Report (PDF)
- Route 7/287 Interchange Modification Report - Letter of Commitment from Location (PDF)
- Route 7/287 60% Right of Way (ROW) Submission - Cross Section (PDF)
- Route 7/287 60% Right of Way (ROW) Project Plan (PDF)
- A Guide for Property Owners and Tenants (PDF)
- 7/287 Interchange Improvements Exhibit (PDF)
- VDOT Route 7/287 Interchange Analysis 2012 (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.