Sterling Community Center Renovation
- This project will renovate the existing Sterling Community Center and is part of the Sterling Public Facilities Master Plan initiated by the Board of Supervisors in 2012.
- The renovated Sterling Community Center will occupy 20,700 square feet of space at its current location, an expansion of 2,000 square feet. The additional space will provide two new entry vestibules and will accommodate an enlarged full court gymnasium.
- The Sterling Community Center’s extensive renovation plans will raise the split-level building to a single level, provide for new outdoor spaces and bring the facility standards up to date.
- Features of the center include a public lobby, fitness room, computer room, kitchen, teen gaming room, classrooms and an art room.
- When reopened, the center will be operated by the Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services.
- The outdoor space renovation will include a new patio area, a renovated pavilion and an outdoor amphitheater.
- To maintain public safety during the renovation, the existing playground will be closed throughout the project.
- The project is estimated for completion in 2022.
Current Status: April 2020
- In December of 2019, the Sterling Community Center staff moved to an adjacent county property at 150 Enterprise Street in order to provide the public with a teen space, classrooms, and meeting spaces during renovation of the existing facility.
- Forrester Construction Company, the county’s contractor for the project, will mobilize and begin installing erosion and sediment controls in February of 2020.
- A groundbreaking ceremony was held on February 8, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. Read the news release.
- Structural demolition of the Community Center is complete with site demolition and the new foundation work started.
- Underground utility work, mechanical, electrical and plumbing ground works and geothermal drilling and installation are underway.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on the Sterling Community Center Renovation project.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
- Capital Project Report for Sterling Community Center (PDF)
- FGSO Action Item 8: Master Plan for Sterling Area Public Facilities 2-12-2013 (PDF)
For more information about the Sterling Community Center Renovation project, contact the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure at 703-777-0396 or email the department.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.