Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
Planning Commission Schedules Work Sessions on Proposed Zoning Ordinance Changes Following Public Hearing
- The Planning Commission held public hearing on proposed changes to the Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance January 24, 2023.
- View the video discussion and vote of the Planning Commission at the January 24, 2023, public hearing.
- Read the staff report prepared for the January 24, 2023, public hearing.
- The Planning Commission will hold a series of work sessions as it continues its process for reviewing and updating the proposed Zoning Ordinance text. Work session dates will be posted on the Loudoun County calendar.
- In August 2022, the Planning Commission held an initial public hearing on a limited number of chapters of the draft ordinance. The January 2023 public hearing considered the remaining portions of the proposed ordinance.
- Links to the draft text and other documents prepared for the public hearing are online below.
- At the January public hearing, the commission also considered incorporating four independent Zoning Ordinance Amendments (ZOAMs) into the draft Zoning Ordinance, upon the Board of Supervisors’ adoption of each of the ZOAMs. Learn more about each ZOAM here: Current Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance Amendments
- Following completion of the Planning Commission’s review, the recommended text will be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for review.
Provide Comments on the Proposed Zoning Ordinance
- Members of the public may provide input about the proposed changes to the Zoning Ordinance at any time by submitting this online comment form or by calling 703-777-0246.
Review Proposed Text
Proposed text updates for portions of the Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance considered by the Planning Commission January 24, 2023, are available for public review. These will continue to be discussed and revised during the Planning Commission work sessions in 2023. The documents below include the "clean" version of the proposed text as well as the "redline" version, which illustrates revisions made to the draft text since the April 2022 version that the public reviewed and commented on during the 90-day public comment period that occurred April 18 - July 18, 2022. Note that the proposed draft text for Chapter 11 considered January 24 comprises three sections that were not included in the draft text considered at the August 30, 2023, Planning Commission public hearing. The bulk of Chapter 11 was considered by the Planning Commission at the public hearing August 30.
- Chapter 6: Natural and Environmental Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 9: Attainable Housing (PDF)
- Chapter 13: Definitions (PDF)
- Section 7.02 Open Space (PDF)
- Sections 11.10.06, 11.10.07 & 11.10.09 Procedures (PDF)
Zoning Uses Cross-Reference
View a document that cross-references Use Names from the current Zoning Ordinance and Use Names in the proposed Zoning Ordinance text, as presented in Chapter 3: Uses.
- View all updates on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- For questions about the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project, email Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.